Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

concerned about spark plug issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default concerned about spark plug issue

hi everyone, i'm looking at buying an 06 fx4 and have been doing my research and my only concern is the spark plug issue. did ford fix this problem by 06? i've heard and read a few things:

- ford started using anti sieze on the plugs in 05
- ford never fixed the issues
- ford used different plugs in the newer models
- etc., etc., etc.

how concerned should i be? is there a fix? thanks for your help.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plugs

1st off how many miles do you have on the truck since the last change of the sparkplugs and was anti sieze used? I think the conclusion is to change the sparkplug before 100K the range is up to you some say as early as 30K but one thing that is good idea is to get a sparkplug called a "Brisk" sparkplug becuase its a one peice plug and shouldn't sperate like the oem's!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 PM

I have an 08 and the plugs are still two piece. As suggested just have them replaced sooner rather than later and make sure to use the required anti-seize and you are good to go. I wouldn't let the spark plug issue keep you from owning a very good truck otherwise. I personally will be switching over to the Brisk (one piece) plugs at around 20K.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks. i know this is the best full size truck out there. i plan on getting one with 35k or less miles on it, so i guess the first thing i'll do is replace the plugs. as i said in my ealier post, i've done alot of research on the f150 and i remember readign that the problem is in the cylinder head design, but it sounds like the real problem is that the spark plug is 2 piece as opposed to every plug i've ever seen which is 1 piece. also, i'm assuming any anti seize will work and i don't need any special brand. is taht right?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Going Postal!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmuti13
thanks. i know this is the best full size truck out there. i plan on getting one with 35k or less miles on it, so i guess the first thing i'll do is replace the plugs. as i said in my ealier post, i've done alot of research on the f150 and i remember readign that the problem is in the cylinder head design, but it sounds like the real problem is that the spark plug is 2 piece as opposed to every plug i've ever seen which is 1 piece. also, i'm assuming any anti seize will work and i don't need any special brand. is taht right?
I had mine done at 45K, they had no problems getting mine out. They suggested to have them done before 50K. Make sure you remind them to follow the TSB on plug removal.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM

I was told during my dyno tuning session at Troyers Performance you must use the correct antiseize ( I picked up a can from them) and that the problem was really two fold the biggest is the two piece design plug. The second being just how far the plugs extend into the heads. This allows build up on them and if you don't take your time removing the plugs you can brake them. They said removal is kind of like tapping a hole for threads ie small turns in both directions all the way out. As suggested just make sure they or you follow the TSB on removal and you will be fine. Good luck and lets us know if you get the truck.

Quick Reply: concerned about spark plug issue