Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

cold air intake?? Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake?? Yes or no?

I have a 5.4 is a CA intake really worth the money and what about an edge evo ???? Thanks also love to see ur trucks if u don't mind thanks a lot!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gtlftd
I have a 5.4 is a CA intake really worth the money and what about an edge evo ???? Thanks also love to see ur trucks if u don't mind thanks a lot!
Did you really ask this question?? LMAO.. naaa, do a search there are TONS of posts on this. YES they are worth it !!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Most 5.4L engine in this era run slightly lean and a CAI can only add to this effect. If you want a CAI for looks under the hood, be sure to get a custom tuned device to compensate. Your truck does already have a CAI from the factory. To reduce restriction with your current system look up "Gott's mod". This will do about the same as a CAI, it's cheaper, and doesn't need additional tuning.
If you end up doing the Gott's, the Evo's canned tunes will work just fine. If you go with an aftermarket CAI, look at a Gryphon with a custom tune.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an 08 150 screw with the 5.4
Unless your year is different there is no way I would consider the stock intake to be a CAI and the baffles are SO RESTRICTING
Short answer yes the CAI is worth the money I have a K&N with the superchips Cortext Tuner and they wake the truck up big time.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzzMan
Unless your year is different there is no way I would consider the stock intake to be a CAI and the baffles are SO RESTRICTING
Short answer yes the CAI is worth the money I have a K&N with the superchips Cortext Tuner and they wake the truck up big time.

x2
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

this is a highly debated topic on every truck forum im on but the facts remain, the stock intake that draws air from outside the engine compartment is in fact a "cold air intake" any of these aftermarket open element intake kits that draw air from inside the hot engine compartment are not in any way a cold air intake, in fact most cause the in coming air charge to be hotter than the ambient outside air temp, ive proved this on my own truck (2001 ranger with K&N FIPK) measuring the intake temps with my scanguage and the intake temps are higher with the K&N open element kit as compared to the stock intake that draws air from outside the engine compartment. the temps on average were 20-25 degrees hotter than they were with the stock intake, even hotter while stopped at an idle. there are a few aftermarket kits that are ducted to draw air from outside the engine compartment but there arent many, banks is one that comes to mind. the biggest restriction with the 04-08 5.4 intake is the part that narrows down to go through the fender but that is easily and cheaply remedied by the Gotts mod.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

My CAI and Edge was worth every penny I spent.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

CAI is simply a cold air intake. By drawing from the fender it is cold air and it is a closed system so it does not draw any under hood air. The restriction has nothing to do with it being a CAI or not. With the gott's mod, removing the snorkel, and a good filter the stock intake flows more than ample.
I think one thing that gets overlooked when shopping for a system is the effective capacity for filtration of the filter. Just remember your stock air filter is 99.5% effective where an oiled filter is only 98.2%.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd need to see hard numbers to agree... Test the intake temp for example... What speed were you traveling.... And even if you are correct about the stock intake being able to access colder air by the time that air reaches the throttle body is it still colder? Also if we consider the engine a big Air pump I would thing you would want to create the strangest most un restricted path for that air to get in... IMO the stock intake is garbage and I notice gains in performance and mileage when I replace the intake that's just my opinion and can only tell you what I have seen..... On a side note how do you like the scan gauge and will it give accurate tranny temps?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I'd need to see hard numbers to agree... Test the intake temp for example... What speed were you traveling.... And even if you are correct about the stock intake being able to access colder air by the time that air reaches the throttle body is it still colder? Also if we consider the engine a big Air pump I would thing you would want to create the strangest most un restricted path for that air to get in... IMO the stock intake is garbage and I notice gains in performance and mileage when I replace the intake that's just my opinion and can only tell you what I have seen..... On a side note how do you like the scan gauge and will it give accurate tranny temps?

Living in Canada all your air is cold...lol

Quick Reply: cold air intake?? Yes or no?