Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Changing rear diff cover/fluid tomorrow-advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
JNelson

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Changing rear diff cover/fluid tomorrow-advice?

As the title says I am changing the rear diff cover and fluid tomorrow because the old one is rusted bad and the truck has about 130,000 so its due time for the oil. I figured I would post on here to see if anyone has any advise. I bought a new cover and sprayed it with bed liner and it looks good I think. I also got valvoline full synthetic 75-140 gear oil, LS additive, and black RTV silicone to use along with the gasket provided. Do the outter bolts need to be torqued down to a certain amount? Is there anything else I am forgetting? Im gonna put the new cover on and give it time for the RTV to dry before I add fluid. Ill post pics of before and after I painted the cover.
Attached Thumbnails Changing rear diff cover/fluid tomorrow-advice?-photo-19-.jpg   Changing rear diff cover/fluid tomorrow-advice?-photo-20-.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
s_vares

Received 430 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks like you got a handle on it! Use an air grinder with a cleaning disc (or similar) to clean the diff really good before you put the new cover on

use lots or brake clean to clean the gasket surface, and NO Leaks

Lovin' the bedliner btw
Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
JNelson

Thanks for the help! The main thing I was worried about was it leaking afterwords so ill make sure I get it cleaned off good.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM
SRH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt use a grinder, but i just used sand paper to clean the gasket area real well( did not leak at all after) , Although i used a Mag hytec cover that comes with an o ring stuck to the cover. It should not take more than a hour to do. Also make sure you can take of the bolt you use to fill it with the oil before your start.

i would leave the top bolts on, say 1 or 2 and open it from the bottom so it can drain less messy, and that way you wont have the cap fall off or so.

taking of your spare tire can give you more room to work under it. I didnt jack up my truck at all.

hope that helps, I changed mine last summer and it was my first time ever changing the differential oil for any car and it was not that hard, in fact its as easy as changing your engine oil.

Last edited by SRH; 02-29-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you like the Mag hytec? That is next on my list of upgrades
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had several mag hytec covers on my Dodge diesels and love them! The only concern i would have is that i hope u didn't put too much spay-on bedliner, as this will act like insulation and cause the diff to run a little warmer than normal. A thin layer should be fine. I have used AMSOIL's Heavy Duty Metal Protector as a "undercoating" on factory parts to prevent rust...it leaves an excellent protective layer.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM
JNelson

Yea I didnt use too much of it, just enough for a nice even layer. I looked at those mag hytec covers and they are awesome!! The only problem for me is I got mine for $25 with a lifetime warranty compared to the mag hytec. Its obvious which one is better but for me it'd be hard to justify.

Quick Reply: Changing rear diff cover/fluid tomorrow-advice?