Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Changed Plugs This Weekend....Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Changed Plugs This Weekend....Horror Story

So Ive been putting it off for a year now due to all the storys I read and the lack of having the lisle tool. Well I finally went and picked up the tool and decided to get er done. BTW, the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side.....WTF Who the hell decided to put a plug there!! Any how, Ive had the truck a little over a year and have ran a bottle of techron every other tank since i got it. Warmed it up, gave it the sea foam treatment trough the brake booster hose, let it sit 20 min, then did a few WOT pulls to blow out the rest of the crap. I took out all the plugs with my 3/8 impact except the one. That would be no 3 if counting the passenger front as one and going down that side. Had to get the 1/2 impact out for that one. All came out without a problem. Was defiantly time for a change. Replace with 515s. No4 however, ( the last one by passenger firewall ) threaded in by hand, we tightened to 25lbft and then i hear the loud snap of what sounded like porcelin breaking. F Me!!! I was tired and it was 33deg so I was cold and now the engine was cold. Figured I would button it up, drive around for a bit to warm it up. I had the tuner scanning for misfires and I have none. WHEW Since it wont misfire, I wont take it apart again. My MPG went fron 10.8-11 avg hwy @65 to 13.9 hwy @65. Not too shabby I suppose. Now the true test will be the Texas run I am making at the end of this month. 1200 miles each way. Here are the old plugs

1234- Pass Side

5678 Driver Side

Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Sounds like a dream to me, not a horror story.

Mine was, first time I did mine all 8 broke had to Lisle EVERY ONE.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

You actually got pretty lucky for this year range on plug changes.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the old plugs already the 515's? They look like the one piece ones.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM

the old ones were the 515s as well. I bought the truck with 220k on it and it now has 247k I had no clue if the PO had done this so I guess it was good that I did. Now I have one phaser starting to make noise that I will adress this summer and the oil pan has a slight leak. So I will do timing chains and a wp for good measure this summer as well.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Sounds like good news.

FWIW

You can remove the parts hanging off of the firewall on the passenger side to make access much easier. It is really not a big job and worth the time to do it. Just a bunch of 10 mm bolts and some connections.

Your plugs look pretty good actually with most showing a nice tan colour (at least from my screen . That means a good burn happening. To light or white and it is burning lean, too dark or black and it is rich.

Finally, in the future I would go the extra step and change all the boots and springs while you are at it. They are cheap (like the cost of one plug) and will clean up any minor issues and make a longer durability. Far too many people change plugs only to chase a miss only months later and put money into COPs.

Glad to hear it went well and made an improvement for you.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You can tell a couple of the boots are worn, there is rust on top of a few of the plugs.. I suggest you replace all the boots and springs and properly apply Dielectric grease to the boot ends to seal out the moisture.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
You can tell a couple of the boots are worn, there is rust on top of a few of the plugs.. I suggest you replace all the boots and springs and properly apply Dielectric grease to the boot ends to seal out the moisture.
Good catch techrep

Any issues you had may have been related to that and having moisture get in. This would mean the poor performance may return soon. This is why many many a plug change on to have symptoms return shortly after.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info. Will get those changed out this weekend when it warms up a few degrees
Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 PM

Well went on and changed those out today. Will have to replace a few injector harness plugs and 2 coil harness plugs. Gotta hate brittle plastic. I wish I would have thought to take off the computer and bracket last time. Was soooo much easier to get to with them out the way.