Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cam phaser question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Cam phaser question

Is it possible to see whether a phaser is broken by watching it through the oil fill with the engine running? I've removed the oil fill extension tube. I also removed the cam timing solenoid seal. I started the engine and waited till it idled up to operating temperature and I could hear the diesel idle. I can see movement in the spring if I look at it from an angle, as if it were not mounted centered, but looking exactly perpendicular to the cam axis, there is no movement. In addition, though I can hear the diesel sound from under the truck, it is not any louder in the engine bay with both the cam solenoid seal and oil fill extension removed. I would think if the phaser was causing this noise it should get much louder with both of those removed, as the phaser is right there. Maybe what I am hearing at this point is just normal for this engine. It could be described as a very quiet diesel idle sound, which is gone as soon as the engine gets above idle.

I guess I can take a video of it too if that would help.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:15 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Is it possible to see whether a phaser is broken by watching it through the oil fill with the engine running? I've removed the oil fill extension tube. I also removed the cam timing solenoid seal. I started the engine and waited till it idled up to operating temperature and I could hear the diesel idle. I can see movement in the spring if I look at it from an angle, as if it were not mounted centered, but looking exactly perpendicular to the cam axis, there is no movement. In addition, though I can hear the diesel sound from under the truck, it is not any louder in the engine bay with both the cam solenoid seal and oil fill extension removed. I would think if the phaser was causing this noise it should get much louder with both of those removed, as the phaser is right there. Maybe what I am hearing at this point is just normal for this engine. It could be described as a very quiet diesel idle sound, which is gone as soon as the engine gets above idle.

I have slight diesel sound to mine as well, at 190,000km. Or at least I think it makes a slight diesel sound. Doesn't sound anything similar to my Hemi. I'll post a vid someone and let members decide whether or not it's time for me to tackle the VCT system or not.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 534 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1

Yes it's possible... But its only really possible to see a "wobble" in the reluctor ring from a bent or broken roll pin... The spring will also have a back and forth "wobble" if this is the case..

Mine sounded like it was coming from under the truck too, but I think its just the sound of the veins clacking, and resonating through the cavity that the timing chains use to get down to the crank...

Take a look a decently designed phaser from dodge...

Cam phaser question-image-4101279402.jpg

Notice how there are oil seals that keep the veins tight. They are also under spring tension. The are not to different from the concept of a piston ring.

Well, because we DO NOT have these seals in our phasers, the ford phaser has a tendency to wear itself down. Once worn, the oil slips through the once tight tolerance under pressure in the veins. This causes play. That play or "jiggle" is then translated to the loose sound of "clacking". When worn enough, cam phasing is compromised when under pressure, allowing oil to eek through the once tight walls the veins ride against... This is why 5w-30 will help with the noise, and also extend phaser life.....

Cam phaser question-image-3999735091.jpg

Open the link below....
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...camlimiter.gif

See how that cam limiter is just a band aid for ford crap phaser design?... Without some kind of seal for a smooth range of motion, its a metal on metal party in that phaser.. Ford phasers are designed to suck eventually... A good way ford could remedy this is to machine some key-ways made of delrin under a spring tension forcing them into the wall.. They would act like seals, and likely make for a much quieter and more durable phaser design... This is why ford phasers wear out IMHO.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

My brother ninja! Again you've come to bring insight! I never really knew how all of this stuff works as I'm used to old school OHV engines. That's a great description. I am a bit weary of switching to 5W30 when 5W20 is what is recommended. I only run Mobil 1 synthetic and a factory oil filter. When I get around to it I'm going to post a vid of my engine running.

Quick Reply: Cam phaser question