Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow A/C Problems

I'm having a problem with my A/C that has gotten progressivley worse over time. When I am idling, the ac will hardly, sometimes not at all, blow cold air. Once I'm up to speed on the road it is fine. Many times I crank my truck and let it idle for ten mins with the air full blast and it still blows hot. Pumped with ac charge twice now, and still not any better. Should i be looking for a leak or a new compressor?

2005 Ford F150 Single Cab V6 165k Miles. XL / STX

Thanks in advanced!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

mine is having a similiar issue. It's warmer at idle and cold while driving? I would get a leak dye test done. Confirm no leaks. Then have a shop confirm the proper amount of refegirant. You may have overdone it. Then if not, I would take a look at the compressor, which may be going bad.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:42 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Take a hose and clean the bugs out of the condenser before taking your truck to the shop. Have them check the a/c, not just adding refrigerant with a can. Then check the fan clutch. Common issue with our trucks, not blowing cold at idle. Cools down while driving (increased airflow), If everything checks o.k., look at installing e-fans.

Last edited by '08f150stx; 08-19-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Typical hot summer time issues. Simply put, the trucks fan/clutch is unable to draw enough air through the A/C condenser and radiator at idle.

Have you checked the operation of the fan clutch? On the 4.6 and 5.4's, they use an electric clutch; this clutch may be bad, and the fan is slipping. A test that could be performed is to wear a very heavy welders glove, and see if you can stop the fan easily from spinning while the engine is idling. USE A VERY HEAVY GLOVE!

Myself, I removed the fan/clutch assembly, and installed an electric fan. I no longer have A/C issues when idling for long periods of time.

This setup however will cost you more initially then a new e-clutch, so if that's your problem, and cost is a factor, consider just replacing the fans clutch.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Default Efan option

Originally Posted by Bucko
Typical hot summer time issues. Simply put, the trucks fan/clutch is unable to draw enough air through the A/C condenser and radiator at idle.

Have you checked the operation of the fan clutch? On the 4.6 and 5.4's, they use an electric clutch; this clutch may be bad, and the fan is slipping. A test that could be performed is to wear a very heavy welders glove, and see if you can stop the fan easily from spinning while the engine is idling. USE A VERY HEAVY GLOVE!

Myself, I removed the fan/clutch assembly, and installed an electric fan. I no longer have A/C issues when idling for long periods of time.

This setup however will cost you more initially then a new e-clutch, so if that's your problem, and cost is a factor, consider just replacing the fans clutch.

I'm interested in the E fan options. Cost isn't really a problem. Do you have a suggestion on brand name? Would like a link to a supplier of these if you have one please. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 PM

Default Blower Unit failure

Thanks in advance if you can assist me!

I have a2008 F150, 4.6 V8

While driving with my AC on and fan on high, the fan (blower) briefly cutin and out and then blower stopped working. I checked the blowerfuse and it looks good. I checked the Blower relay and the guy at autozone saidif the relay is bad then I will hear clicking under the hood while the motor isrunning. I hear no clicking. I looked on the internet and found some videosshowing how to replace the Blower Motor Resistor so I installed a new Blowermotor Resistor. The blower is still not working. While driving on the highwaywith the AC on there is a little cold air coming out of the vents however, if Iswitch it on inside air source (max AC) then the air flow stops. Whatever isunder the glove box is getting cold and the AC is working.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get the blower working again?

I have never changed my inside air filters and they may be clogged butwould that stop the blower unit from working?

Can anyone direct me to a forum that can help?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

^^ start a new thread

Quick Reply: A/C Problems