Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

a/c issue help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default a/c issue help please

warning long explanation sorry guys tired to be detailed here

Hey guys i have a 2004 f150 xlt crew cab well heres my problem. On may 1 prom night a/c works nice and cool girl was happy, now i live in Miami so weather is nice and everyday day and night i drive with no ac ( only us ac when parents or girls in truck) so 3-4 days went with out using ac after prom night so one day i believe May 6 or something like that i tried to use ac and nothing cold, looked at compressor wasn't engaging i checked all fuses and hit compressor and still wasn't working. so on a Friday(may 8) i went to my ac guys who replaced my compressor on December of 2013 ( little over a year ago) when the guy connected the gauges no gas came out and he said i had no gas. so he injected the dye and recharged the system and told me to come back once its out. so i used ac from 2:00 pm till like 6:00 and ac was working but not strong as when i filled it at 2, so Saturday morning(may 9) i went to work for my cousin at his shop and in the morning no ac. so we both looked at it and he said i was leaking from my evaporator thats behind the dash. so we took all day and i removed the whole dash and changed the evaporator installed everything now we didn't recharge the system because by accident we broke the high pressure line so i waited till this Saturday ( yesterday may 16) to reinstall new hose Great. we turned the truck on and charged the system when i went to go check it, it was blowing hot air while **** was on cold ohh crap pulled glove box and radio face plate and notice that the ac blend door actuator ( switches door from hot or cold) was not screw down whoops so i fought the actuator into place and when i put it back to cold it moves a little but when i go to hot the door moves completely open when i go back to cold it doesn't move to cold unless i turn off truck and restarted,then it moved to cold a little, so i said screw it will look next week, so today i was angry and did some research and found that the actuator brakes and doesn't function correctly and found the say symptoms as mine so i bought a new one and installed it now the door moves everytime i play with the **** yeaa but guess what still no COLD AIR ac engages, no leaks that i can see the air is ambient temp what the hell is wrong with this **** my girlfriend said she doesn't care but really.... so any suggestion guys sorry for long explanation tried to be detailed
Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Mattloz;4170983]Anyone?[/QUOTEyour]
Did you pull a vacuum on the ac system before recharging it. I've seen lots of shade tree guys say that the Freon pushes out the air. This is NOT true. Air in the system will cause very high head pressure which can equal little too no cooling and Very short composer life.
From reading your post I'm unsure if cousin is experienced with ac systems. So you should change the dryer anytime you open the system. Not a must but is highly recommended. I'm going to assume your truck has an orifice tube and that is a must to change. It's about a $4 part and could be stopped up with metal shavings. Next pull a vacuum on the system with both your high side and low side gauges open. Turn off the gauges and turn off your vacuum pump after your gauges have read -29 for about 5 to 10 min. If you have a good pump and you never get that low of a reading that is a sign of a leak. With your gauges and your pump off let it sit for another 10 minutes. If your gauges start to rise then you have a leak somewhere. Either in your a.c.system or your gauges. Once it holds you will need to add some oil while under vacuum and then charge the system. Remember to purge the line on your ac fill hose. The goal is to charge the system with NO air getting in.

Just reread your post. If the system was open for 16 days you really need to change the dryer and if you plan on keeping the truck long you should empty all of the oil out of the compressor and add new oil. Compressor oil is like brake fluid. It will very quickly absorb moisture from the air. Moisture under high pressure in an a.c.system mixed with oil and freon turns to acid. Let the vacuum pump stay on longer than I said above. The vacuum will cause some of the moisture to boil off and be removed from the system. Do it right this time or do it right in a year when you will be replacing your compressor for a second time.

Last edited by tomtom52; 05-18-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: a/c issue help please