Bug Guard Help - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bug Guard Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bug Guard Help

Guys, I just purchased a chrome bug guard for my 2004 ford f150 Lariat. While trying to install, I ran into some problems. All of the screws and nuts came out of the grill (which has to be removed to install bug guard) except for two of the small nuts. These two were rusted to the bolts and now the bolts just spin. I can not get the bug guard on without removing the grill because of the design. Has anyone ran into this problem? Can anyone think of any solutions? There is not enough room to get anything in behind the nuts to cut the bolt off so I am stumped. I asked a local truck accessory dealership and they suggested snapping the chrome off of the grill so that I could get to the topside of the bolts. Does anyone know how to do this?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
dcrocky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
Smokin Lariat's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's a guy in another F150 forum having the same problem. Only suggestion there so far was to use a Dremmel type too to cut off the offending bolts from the backside of the grille. Thought there is that he will eventually need a new grille surround anyway - and of course you can't buy just the surround, you have to buy a complete grille from the dealer.

Your truck accessory dealer may be talking about snapping the grille surround off of the grille - more accurately the other way around. Ford grilles have inserts that snap into the surround. You can snap the inserts out fairly easily using a hair dryer to heat the tabs to make them more pliable and then a flat blade screwdriver or similar. I'm not sure that would give you access to the bolt heads.

I wish i could remember cause I just changed grilles after an accident and I kept the broken surround - and I actually sold those 6 little bolts to another Ford guy, so I know I got access to them somehow. Sorry I can't be more help. As I think about it - you're guy may be right - we might have snapped the chrome surround off of its frame to get at those bolts. I just don't remember how and I've sold or trashed all the parts so I'e noting to refer to that might tell me. Really sorry man. Good luck.
Smokin Lariat is offline   Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Thought I'd Let You All Know FlatBlack XD 2015 - Present Ford F150 7 04-13-2016 02:52 AM
Water splashing up from front hood. 808plat 2015 - Present Ford F150 43 10-04-2015 12:59 AM
Want to Buy: Mounting Hardware RidinginaF150 2009 - 2014 Part Sales 0 09-29-2015 09:45 AM
Anyone ever have to make mounting hardware for a trailfx brush guard RidinginaF150 Custom Fabrication Department 0 09-28-2015 05:03 PM
Husky Liners Rear Wheel Well Guards SuperTruckUSA 2015 - Present Ford F150 9 09-19-2015 12:20 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Copyright 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: