Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brakes cause HU to shut off (new Kenwood DNN770HD)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brakes cause HU to shut off (new Kenwood DNN770HD)

I have a weird one this week guys.

I installed a new HU, (Kenwood DNN770HD) this weekend. The wiring is pretty straight forward. There are only 5 major wires that go to my HUfrom the ford connectors.
Why would the brakes cause the HU to shut off?

I ordered parts from Crutchfield and Amazon.
Speakers - 4xRockford Fosgate (65 watts, 3 way)
Pioneer Sub (200 watts)
Kenwood DNN770HD Headunit. Latest and greatest from them.
Pyle blade 6800 AMP (5 channel)
5 RCA cables
Rear view camera
0 gauge wire from batt to Amp installed on rear wall.
Sound padding whole truck Stinger
Etc etc…

Why would pressing my brake pedal cause the stereo to cutoff?

I removed the reverse wire (grounded it to the ground wireon HU) and also the brake wire (left kick panel, Black/Pink ) yet it still cutsoff.
2006 FX4 SCREW

Wires hooked into original ford connector:
- pin 1 Power (L green/Violet)
- pin 2 accessorydelay (L green/Yellow)
- pin 3 instrumentillumination (L blue/Red)
- pin 13 Ground (Black/L green)
Power control wire (AMP signal) is run from AMP to tap intowire on HU (power control wire)

Speaker wires are run from AMP in rear to connector behindHU, I diked off factory wires and soldered the speaker wires to them. It took only 20 min or so to tin and solder 8wires together.

Initially I had everything working except the rear camera, Iwas troubleshooting why I had no video (tapped the video wires into left brakelight wires) so I decided to try to get the parking brake wires to work.

So, I installed the jumper from left kick panel to theparking sensor wire on the HU. Now whenI press the brakes the HU shuts off and restarts. It didn’t do this before so I decided toremove the parking sensor wire from the circuit. HU still shuts off. Removed the reverse wire from equation, HUstill shuts off when the brakes are pressed.

During the reverse wire and camera Ops checks the brakepressing didn’t affect the HU. The videowould not come up so I decided to move on to the parking brake wire and see ifat least the DVD would play. Once I hadevery wire hooked up that is when everything went haywire.

The stereo was capable upon initial install of cranking itall the way up. Now, it cuts out nearlyhalf way in volume.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like no responses so far, so I'll ask a question. I'm not familiar with that HU, but are you sure the video wires (you used plural) are supposed to be tapped into the brake light power? It sounds like you have a voltage drop, so I'm wondering if that line is OK to use. What's the purpose of the parking sensor?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Definitely something screwy with that back up camera install. I know one way that works. Run the video wire, the power wire and the ground wire along the factory bundle of wires from the back of the truck, through the grommet in the drivers side floor. Hook the video cable into the proper input on the HU. Hook the power wire into the red power wire for the HU. Ground your ground wire to the bolt under the drivers side kick panel, located pretty close to the parking brake lever. Wire tap into the black/pink wire and connect to the reverse trigger wire off your HU.
Whatever you have going with that power from the brake light is most likely your problem.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

And as for that parking brake thing. Is that the wire that only allows you to watch dvds while the parking brake is on? If so, get yourself the relay that gets rid of that. It is like $8, and you can have the dvd player on whenever you want.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys.
The brake problem has been solved.
Mechanik you are correct. Voltage drop due to the battery going dead.
To many hours of on again off again without charging the battery. Once I charged the battery overnight the system had enough juice to push the brakes and still run the stereo. I removed the wiring harnesses Crutchfield sent with the HU and recrimped soldered all the connections. I made quick disconnect connectors for the park wire to ground and the reverse trigger from left kick panel to the HU. All of the systems work now.
I read in another persons post a few weeks back that he had to solder the wires for the rear view camera since the wires were so fine. I recrimped the wires and the system did not work.
So, I pulled out the trusty soldering iron and soldered the tiny camera wires to the left rear reverse light wiring.
Bingo, the camera comes on now like it was supposed too.

Everyones posts I read on this form covered which wires to hook up to get the system operating were correct. It just takes the proper crimping and splicing and soldering of wires to insure a proper connection at all lines.
That, and having a good strong battery to work with.

Oh, the video wires are not tapped into the brake lights, they are tapped into the reverse lights.
The brake power wire (left kick panel, black/pink stripe) is used for DVD on the HU. Tells the system when you are parked so you can watch DVDs.

Once again, thanks for thinking about this problem. Voltage drop indeed.
The stereo did work the first day I installed it, but over time of listening/tuning/adjusting wifi, GPS, cell phone intergration the battery died.

Quick Reply: Brakes cause HU to shut off (new Kenwood DNN770HD)