Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ARE Bed caps - warrning

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default ARE Bed caps - warning

Just a notification - I had a an ARE cap for my truck that was purchased from an authorized dealer in Florida right after my truck rolled out of the show room. The cap came with a "lifetime warranty" on the paint - specifically the warranty said that the paint would last as long as the paint in the truck, guaranteed.

Well this winter, I started noticing that the the cap was greying, there were spots that were just turning grey. I thought I just needed to buff it out, and I would do that after the winter weather ended.

Well in March, I noticed that in fact there was water under the top later of the cap, and it could be pushed around! When the rain stopped, the areas would dry up. A couple of weeks after I noticed, I took the truck to the only local rep that I know of, only open during the week (when I and most truck owners work, last time I checked), and I pointed out the issue, there were now cracks in the surface of the top layer right above where the bubbles had been, they took pictures and sent to ARE.

Of course, ARE said they aren't going to cover it and said that a I waited too long and chalked it up to "abuse" on my part. I believe they would have had to sanded that layer off anyway, but the local dealer said that have run into this with ARE, and they do not stand behind their warranties as a cost cutting measure on the older caps.

Now I understand the cap is 10 years old, but a warranty is a warranty - and I have dutifully washed and waxed and buffed this cap and my truck looks pretty much pristine, and the bed interior with bed liner looks like the day it is new...so I expected that they would follow through with their promises and take care of this cap, or at very least give me a discount on a new one...nope. FU was what I got, you can anticipate the same.

Just FYI. Won't buy them again, screw 'em.

Last edited by Prof; 08-24-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Damn spell check
Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That is no lifetime warranty I would want. I don't see how companies who don't stand behind their products stay in business.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow.. I understand if they were a small company. But it's ARE they are a big company. That sucks. I won't buy a bed cover new. I actually just picked up an ARE camper shell for my truck. And I used to have a ARE tonneau cover on the truck that I sold for a peragon cover. A good body shop can paint match it to the truck. Even though you shouldn't have to pay to fix it. It should be covered under the warranty. That is very crappy on their part.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Read the fine print...I just bought one and it's limited lifetime warranty ...unless it changed over the last few years?
Another thing people do not know and should be warned with toppers
They are painted fresh before usually within 2 weeks of you driving away with it.
Paint needs to cure 60 days before any wax is applied...it out gases and if not cured properly probably will not last...this includes spray wax from car washes...it will seal the paint... even detail spray...there are very few that are fresh paint safe

Quick Reply: ARE Bed caps - warrning