Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad VCT solenoids without codes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad VCT solenoids without codes?

Hello,
is it possible to have bad VCT solenoids without getting any of the codes associated with them? does anyone recommend replacing them regardless of codes or not? I'm having the usual dieseling noise on my 05 5.4L with a very rough idle. I preformed the basic trouble shooting of unplugging them but it didn't help. Replacing them will be the first step in what im sure will be a long process of getting rid of this noise.
Thank you
Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Replacing the vcts was one of the first actions I took

Newer vcts have some better features . After the spark plug change outs with lisle tool it was a good thing to do .
The gasket on the 05 is a little tedious but not that bad . Getting the right size torx with a small diameter is a little challenging . I had to duct tape mine together to prevent it coming apart .
The vcts were still good later when I did the timing job .
When you do this you can judge the level of sludge . Mine was mainly varnish .
But in retrospect the rollers and lash adjusters were more of the problem .
After 100k I changed out the injectors , all this helped me understand this engine before I jumped to the timing job .
The throttle body had failed too, each thing gave me confidence that I could do this timing job ..
My vcts seemed liked it fixed things but weeks later the noise returned, the dirty engine oil and probably the blown tensioner seal was leaking too much oil . I really can't remember the codes , I didn't have a reader but auto zone was helping me and it was the throttle body and misfires I was fighting .