Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad knock

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad knock

2004 5.4 truck has 174400 on it.. I have always had the little injector tick.. What started yesterday is a loud knock.. At idle it just a load tick. When I bump up the rpms it turns into a knock.. I am 90% it is the bottom end.. I really don't think its phasers or anything up top.. When I'm under the truck it sounds like in the oil pan.. What you boys think?? I have already talked to an engine shop.. Want to hear what the fellas got to say before I do anything.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First eliminate the not-as-bad and check the exhaust manifolds, I say that because I read that is a common issue. BUT if it IS main bearings, those can be replaced.......just a lot of hours involved. With that kind of mileage though, I'd just get a remanufactured engine and be done with it.

Best of luck......been there done that(with a GMC).
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM

Checked manifolds first thing.. Right now I plan on parking truck till I get time to get it dropped off at the engine shop. If its main bearings how much would a guy dare drive it. I'm about 80 miles from said engine shop. Would rather not haul it down, but I don't want to cause any more damage. Any input would be great.. Thx guys.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Gilchrist
Checked manifolds first thing.. Right now I plan on parking truck till I get time to get it dropped off at the engine shop. If its main bearings how much would a guy dare drive it. I'm about 80 miles from said engine shop. Would rather not haul it down, but I don't want to cause any more damage. Any input would be great.. Thx guys.
Totally agree, if it's the main bearings shot then an 80 mile drive might make it come apart, then the engine is screwed versus being able to rebuild the bottom end. I was in a similar spot with a GMC, was going to cost me a grand for a new crank, oil pump, and mains.........so I just spent 2500 and put a re-manufactured engine in it with a 3 year warranty. It's a lot of money either way, but with 175k on yours, it "really" isn't worth spending a ton of money on, not knowing what the top end looks like, esp when it is the TOP of these motors that usually cause problems to start with.

Best of luck from somebody who has "been there done that".
Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM

Today I changed my oil and I went with a 10w30. Still have my knocking noise.. But why I posting this is because I cannot believe how much better the engine as a whole runs.. So silent and smooth it is crazy... To damn bad there is a rod bearing knock/ rattle.. Still have no intension of driving the truck other than getting it on a trailer.. Anyways, I really am impressed with the heavier oil. After the repair I will be running 5w30 for sure..

Quick Reply: Bad knock