Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone Convert from Manual Climate Control To Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Anyone Convert from Manual Climate Control To Automatic?

Just curious if anyone on the forum has converted a truck from manual ac to the automatic setup with cool digital display?

If someone has a pdf for a 2004-2008 F150 showing the wiring for the electronic air or the manual air?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I know its harder than just swapping the controls. It has been done before.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

I wanted to do the same a while back., but there was an issue with the interior thermostat, on the automatic climate.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Ford Tech

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have the time and money go for it, it can be done. Just curious whats wrong with the manual temp control.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 07lftdstx
If you have the time and money go for it, it can be done. Just curious whats wrong with the manual temp control.
Nothing I am just a tinkerer...
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by masitile
I wanted to do the same a while back., but there was an issue with the interior thermostat, on the automatic climate.
I figured there was some sort of thermostat... What exactly was the problem you had with the thermostat? Other than the thermostat can the auto climate be spliced into the original equipment in the manual ac. Or does it have diferent physical parts like different compressor or something major.

I picked up a climate control unit for 15 bucks so I if i only need to buy a new face bezel for the dash and figure out the wiring I should be able to swap it all pretty cheap. But I would need a wiring diagram of it to really figure out what components i am still missing.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 PM
American member

^ well the guys on here talked me out of it, cause with auto climate it has the thermo on right side of the dash next to the steering wheel. It's that little 1/2"x 2" grill that picks up the temp. Like you, I'm a huge tinkerer as well, I had the controls and bezel ready to buy and thought I could place the thermo anywhere hidden, but I was told it just wouldn't work right and hook up easily.
Hopefully someone that has actually attempted it, might chime in with some helpful info for you. I still want to do it, cause it looks and works so nice.

Last edited by Masi1926; 10-13-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 PM
American member

Hey dude, I just went thru all my all threads to find out exactly what was up, and I just couldn't find it. Sorry bro.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by masitile
Hey dude, I just went thru all my all threads to find out exactly what was up, and I just couldn't find it. Sorry bro.
do you have a part number for that temp sensor? I tried googling but have no idea what it looks like
Old 10-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Ford Tech

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The part number for the temp sensor is 19C734, the next couple paragraphs copied directly from the ford workshop manual on the EATC.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
The electronic automatic temperature control (EATC) module analyzes input from the following major sources:
  • Temperature, air flow direction and blower selection (made by the vehicle occupants)
  • In-vehicle temperature
  • Ambient temperature
  • Sunload
  • Vehicle speed
  • Engine coolant temperature
Using these inputs, the EATC module determines the correct conditions for the following outputs:
  • A/C compressor operation
  • Blower speed
  • Temperature blend door position
  • Defrost/panel/floor door position
  • Air inlet door position
Control System Inputs
The EATC system has 5 control system inputs.
EATC Module (Climate Control Assembly)
The EATC module provides an interface for the vehicle occupants to control the climate control system, or automatically controls the climate control system in the AUTO mode. The EATC module has a vacuum fluorescent display for displaying set temperature, air flow direction, blower speed and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). An on-board diagnostic (OBD) feature is incorporated to supply the technician with DTCs. These DTCs help direct the technician to the inoperative component.
The EATC module display will switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit when the instrument cluster display is toggled.
Steering Wheel Audio/Climate Control Switch
The steering wheel audio/climate control switch allows the driver to adjust the passenger compartment temperature setting and manually override the blower motor speed setting.
In-Vehicle Temperature Sensor
An in-vehicle temperature sensor is used by the EATC module to measure air temperature inside the passenger compartment. An aspirator hose and elbow is connected between the heater core housing and the in-vehicle temperature sensor. Air flow through the heater core and evaporator core housing causes a venturi-type suction through the aspirator hose which draws passenger compartment air across the thermistor in the in-vehicle temperature sensor.
Solar Radiation Sensor (Sunload Sensor)
The solar radiation sensor supplies information to the EATC module indicating sunload.
Ambient Temperature Sensor
The ambient temperature sensor signal is received by the instrument cluster module which communicates it to the EATC module via the vehicles UBP network.
Control System Outputs
The EATC system has 3 control system outputs.
Blower Motor Speed Control
The blower motor speed control controls the blower motor speed by converting low power signals from the EATC module to a high current, variable ground feed for the blower motor. A delay function is used to provide a gradual increase or decrease in blower motor speed under all conditions.
The blower motor speed control is located on the heater core and evaporator core housing near the blower motor.
Temperature Blend Door Actuator
An electric temperature blend door actuator is used to position the temperature blend door. The temperature blend door actuator contains a reversible electric motor to position the temperature blend door. A potentiometer is installed in the actuator to allow the EATC module to monitor the position of the temperature blend door. The potentiometer circuit consists of a 5-volt reference signal connected to one end of a variable resistor, and a signal ground connected to the other. A signal return circuit is connected to a wiper which is driven along the variable resistor by the actuator shaft. The signal returned to the EATC module from the wiper indicates the position of the temperature blend door.
Mode Door Actuators
Electric mode door actuators are used to position the air flow mode doors and air inlet mode door. The 2 mode door actuators each contain a reversible electric motor to position the airflow mode door. A potentiometer is installed in the defrost/panel/floor door actuator to allow the EATC module to monitor the position of the air flow mode doors. The potentiometer circuit consists of a 5-volt reference signal connected to one end of a variable resistor, and a signal ground connected to the other. A signal return circuit is connected to a wiper which is driven along the variable resistor by the actuator shaft. The signal returned to the EATC module from the wiper indicates the position of the air flow mode door. The air inlet mode door actuator is driven to the full RECIRC or full FRESH air inlet position, and does not require a potentiometer circuit to monitor its position.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Paycheck (11-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Anyone Convert from Manual Climate Control To Automatic?