Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone add foam to the bolsters in the seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone add foam to the bolsters in the seat?

I've got a 2007 XLT with the 60/40 front bench. When I bought the truck it felt like the seat foam was worn down on the right rear corner. I replaced the seat cover and foam a few weeks ago. Now I feel like I'm sitting ON the seat, not IN it. I realize it's probably going to take a while to break the seat in again but I feel like I have to support myself with the door or console when I turn and I still feel like the seat is leaning towards the right a little bit. I'm thinking about adding some more foam to the bolster sections of the seat. Have any of you done this?

My other car is a VW GTI and the seat is deep. It fits me well but needed a little extra padding. I added a 1" thick gel pad that fit the center section of the seat and I'm comfortable in it.

My wife's car is a 2018 Explorer Platinum and IMHO the seats are too flat and don't have enough padding in the bottom. I can never quite get comfortable in it.

I had a 2001 Silverado LS with leather and thought the seats were very comfortable. I sold it around 2007 though so it could just be fond memories.

I'm 5'10" and ~240lbs. I have some back issues.

Any input would be appreciated.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisAttebery; 04-11-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts

I put the foam, that was in excellent condition, from a donor passenger side seat in with some custom cutting to fit and it's quite supportive/comfortable with a glued center gel strip on top of the foam.

Had a seamstress sew the top cover from the donor to the good parts of the existing cover and looks fresh from the factory.

$65 Canadian pesos all in.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback Ecobuilder.

I did a lot of reading on the subject here last night. Afterward I did a lot of thinking about it. I bought one of the Durofoam replacement seat cushions that's denser than the original foam was. I think that it's just too thick in the center compared to the bolsters. I feel like I'm sitting on an exercise ball. I think I'm going to take the seat back out and remove some of the foam from the bottom of the cushion. As it is now even with the back of the seat all the way down I'm sitting about an inch higher than I was before.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecobuilder
I put the foam, that was in excellent condition, from a donor passenger side seat in with some custom cutting to fit and it's quite supportive/comfortable with a glued center gel strip on top of the foam.

Had a seamstress sew the top cover from the donor to the good parts of the existing cover and looks fresh from the factory.

$65 Canadian pesos all in.
Interesting I drive a lot....sometimes 800km + a day (+ 500 miles)....After a few days of that I feel that my butt is cracked ??....... What thickness is the gel strip & where did you get it???
Old 04-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 316 Likes on 228 Posts

I replaced the entire bottom foam with memory foam from a place on line The Seat Shop. Extremely happy and it was a very easy DIY job.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:53 PM

That's what I bought.

Originally Posted by CKsBAT
I replaced the entire bottom foam with memory foam from a place on line The Seat Shop. Extremely happy and it was a very easy DIY job.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd like to butt in, how easy was it to replace that cover and foam? I'm assuming you don't need to remove the entire seat like they did? Just unbolt the screws under the cover and it lifts up?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM

I pulled the entire seat. I just laid it on it’s side in the truck and pulled the bottom off
Old 04-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 316 Likes on 228 Posts

You really need to remove the seat, not hard at all even with all the electrical connections for the power seat. You will need to purchase hogring pliers, it will make it easier too. The whole job took me about 2 hours, but I'm overly picky.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 PM

I took the seat apart again this afternoon. I used a electric knife to carve about 3/4” off the bottom of the back half of the cushion. I got it all back together and it feels much better.

Quick Reply: Anyone add foam to the bolsters in the seat?