Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

All door speakers suddenly stop working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy All door speakers suddenly stop working.

So I just replaced the stock head unit in my 2005 ford f150 with a brand new Sony one. Install went pretty smooth and I had every thing working pretty quick. So about a hour after the install I got in my truck to drive home and everything was working fine until about 5 minutes into driving all the door speakers just stopped working. (Music was not blaring). Sub still works but that's it. No sound from the door speakers what so ever. I checked the fuse and the head unit. And all the fuses related to audio in the fuse box. Everything looks normal. Head unit powers on fine. Just no sound from any door speakers. Only thing that plays sound is the sub. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2016, 05:03 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Check the ground from the head unit at the radio; maybe a wire is loose or disconnected. Did you use a wiring connector and solder the connections to the radio wiring, or did you use crimp connectors? Either way, inspect the speaker ground connection(s).
Old 01-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

May have a bum HU too ...
Old 01-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Pull the head unit out and hook a speaker up directly at the head unit to see what happens. Sounds like you lost the internal amp.
What is powering the sub? Was it the stock sub?

I don't want to sound rude but do you know wha you are doing or did you just think you do? It is easy to overload an amp whether internal or external if the sub is in the same channel as the other speakers.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:47 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Anyway you can switch the stock unit back for a test?
Old 01-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
Pull the head unit out and hook a speaker up directly at the head unit to see what happens. Sounds like you lost the internal amp.
What is powering the sub? Was it the stock sub?

I don't want to sound rude but do you know wha you are doing or did you just think you do? It is easy to overload an amp whether internal or external if the sub is in the same channel as the other speakers.

No the sub is after market. Powered by separate amp. It has been in my truck about a year. Never had any issues. Head unit is rated for 55w x 4. Today im going to pull all the door panels off and check the speaker connections Could it be a bad speaker? I have had the same speakers in the truck since like 2011 or 2010.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
Anyway you can switch the stock unit back for a test?
I could but I think im going to check the door speakers first. Because the head unit is brand new. If it is not the door speakers I will swap head units
Old 01-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Check the ground from the head unit at the radio; maybe a wire is loose or disconnected. Did you use a wiring connector and solder the connections to the radio wiring, or did you use crimp connectors? Either way, inspect the speaker ground connection(s).

I know the ground is connected to the ground on the stereo. I just don't know where it runs to? Could I just ground the stereo somewhere else on the truck to check if it is that??

*NOTE* all speaker connections were soldered & heat shrink.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
May have a bum HU too ...

maybe if it is I have a 90 day warranty
Old 01-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you roll all your windows down? When I first swapped my speakers, the wires inside the door were longer due to the adapters I used, and when I rolled the windows down it knocked them off the speaker terminals.

Quick Reply: All door speakers suddenly stop working.