Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4L Weird Problems. Please Help!

Old 04-18-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4L Weird Problems. Please Help!

Hi guys, if this is in the wrong section or thread let me know and I'll change it. I'm having a weird problem and my mechanic is stumped.

2005 F150, 5.4L V8, 191,000 miles.
Here's my issue (I'll go into detail later): when my engine is at idle it will idle normally, then start to fail as though it is about to stall and sounds rough, but then randomly goes back to normal, then starts to stall, and so on and so forth in a never ending loop of almost stall and normality. It is completely undriveable. If I attempt to drive it, it just stalls.

Here's the details, keep in mind this is spanning over 2 years.
When I first got the truck, the previous owner told me it had a bad power coil. I fixed it. But then another coil went. And another. Fixed those too. Around here I started hearing ticking. Then the engine really started riding rough. I changed out the Cats and 02 sensors. That worked for a bit, but then it started riding rough again, So i changed the solenoids. Worked for a bit, but then started riding rough again. I then changed out all my spark plugs, and that seemed to do the trick...until about 2 months ago. I was driving down the highway when out of nowhere the enging started driving REALLY rough, the engine stalled and I lost power steering and brakes going 65 on the highway. Luckily I was able to get on an off ramp and hop a curb into a McD's parking lot. I was able to get it towed back to my house. The engine will start, but it will alternate between idling normally and almost stalling, each will last between 30-45 seconds. I thought maybe the fuel filter/pump, but I changed those and it didnt change anything. My mechanic is at a loss and I have no idea what is causing it. My only guess is that it is the Cam Phasers, which means I'm pretty screwed.

Does anybody have an idea of what's going on and if there is a way to fix it? Do i need to basically rebuild the engine and fix the phasers? Or is there some easier fix that I'm just completely overlooking?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Fuel pump driver module FPDM.. was it replaced or checked ?

Search this Thread