Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 V8 Triton Hole in Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 V8 Triton Hole in Cover

Hole just happened on my cover on the passenger side....need help please...how did this happen???161,000 miles..04 f150

Cost to repair myself???
Old 04-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow. You'll obviously need a new valve cover, but the question is what broke that let something contact the valve cover
Old 04-08-2017, 10:03 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Time for complete timing job. Chains, guides, Phasers, removing oil pan and cleaning broken plastic out - probably oil pump - the whole bit.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:16 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default complete oem timing job

Hopefully that piece missed the reluctor if it went down which I doubt. But something maybe guide pieces picked up by chain crammed them up there and broke it from inside.
Drop the oil pan for sure at this point . When you do timing job use old style metal ratcheting tensioners . Price out oemselect ebay timing kit and rollers and lash adjusters .Think about $1400 in parts . Clean out oil pickup screen ,it is easy to take off, a b-tch to get all the stuff out of the screen . Set this engine at TDC no 1, timing gear dot at six oclock, cam lobes on 1 and 5 per book before chains come off ,that way you will be near the correct timing point . Turn crank bolt clockwise until you get there or use 32mm socket on keyway shaft to turn her .
Most likely plastic tensioners blew out, losing oil pressure, no tension after that, the chains started whipping and boom .
New melling oil pump 340 or 360 amazon .Read svares final fix ,view ford malukoco on you tube . ,he's got some great videos . We have some short cuts when you come back . You don't need much in way of special expensive tools ,you will need torque wrench .
I recommend pulling cams carefully in sequence to avoid problems . Its not that hard .
Do not even think about using non oem phasors or vcts . At this point you are committed to full job you could do an engine flush with old parts on, your choice . You can't do it later .
A reman will run over $7500. If your cams okay you can save this engine . If the heads are screwed then a ford reman is not a bad Idea. Maybe do a compression check too . If its totally sludged then I would try to clean it but most people will not and I can't blame them . Get those valve covers off . Passenger side is a bear , you can take battery frame out, pcm bracket out , remove dryer nuts and gently pull ac line towards passenger side to get it off, hell I had to put a tension strap on mine . Take pictures and make drawings so you can put it all back, label hoses etc .
You will learn to hate that power steering mount . But it has to be undone to get the timing cover off . Then you will see how bad it is in there .
If I did it at 71 and I'm no wrench--- you can to .
The following users liked this post:
jml755 (06-28-2017)