Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.4 noise

i just got my truck back from having the timing chains, guides, tensioners, and cam phasers replaced beacuse of a noise in the motor, the mechanic checked the lifters and said they were all good so we replaced everything else. now it turns out that there were realy 2 noises not just one, so the one coming from the front of the motor is now gone. now i cant figure out what the other noise is, the truck is underpowered and just not right at all.

what else do yall think it could be?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coudl you post up a vid?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

monday i can im out of town right now and didnt drive the truck. to me it doesnt sound like a rod noise its more of a tap tap tap. im gonna run it by the local ford dealer and get them to listen to it. im lost about what it could be.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was a mechanic for a number of years, not on fords but lets face it, cars are cars, if you run your vehicle long on oil changes on a consistent basis you will develop a ticking noise, just because you then change your oil doesnt mean it will go away, some times it take 2 to 3 oil changes after that for the noise to subside, always change your oil between 3k to 5k miles, never more. I personally change my oil at 3k, its not expensive and it keeps good fresh blood pumping through your motor, i have seen what oil looks like in cars at 3k, and usually its black, if its black, it has been contaminated, so start there, change the oil, you can even mix tranny fluid in with an oil change, drive it around for 15 miles and then drain it out, flush a few quarts of oil back through and do another oil change, i know guys that have done that and they say it works
Old 07-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the VCT Solenoid...a lot of times when they change the phasers and tensioners and all that jazz they don't replace the VCT Solenoid and oftentimes that corrects the problem

Quick Reply: 5.4 noise