Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 Hi....Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Carpe Diem

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4x4 Hi....Top Speed?

Allright, it was snowing hard the other night but i had to travel half an hour so i went anyways. I figured if i kept it on 4 hi i would be fine. I was cruising around 55 sumtimes 60 the whole way. However, someone mentioned that you shouldnt go above 45 on 4 hi. is that true? and does going faster damage it?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your book, I beleive mine says 55 or 60 for 4hi
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Being that you still have to turn and stop, why were you doing 55-60?

Just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Personal rule of thumb? If I have to put it in 4WD to drive in the snow, I don't go over 45 MPH.

ABS only accomplishes so much.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Carpe Diem

Originally Posted by gone postal
Being that you still have to turn and stop, why were you doing 55-60?

Just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Personal rule of thumb? If I have to put it in 4WD to drive in the snow, I don't go over 45 MPH.

ABS only accomplishes so much.
You're from NY. I'm from Northern Maine. Summer is just 3 months of bad skiing for us, so we're kinda use to driving in snow.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I had a buddy who was driving in 4HI on the freeway, he said it was pretty slick from snow, anyways he was going about 65 and blew the transfer case to sh*t...maybe it was just his truck or something but i follow the manual and keep from having issues...just my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Carpe Diem

Originally Posted by fx4_soldier
I had a buddy who was driving in 4HI on the freeway, he said it was pretty slick from snow, anyways he was going about 65 and blew the transfer case to sh*t...maybe it was just his truck or something but i follow the manual and keep from having issues...just my 2 cents

Good call....ill just make sure to check it out at my next oppurtunity
Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Im sure if your not making turns you will be fine, cuz from my understanding, most problems come from people being in 4HI then making lots of sharp turns and I can see that causing problems on dry pavement but on slick surfaces i think you would be ok cuz it would allow the tires to spin a bit and not bind. this may not make sense but i did my best lol...hope all goes well for you and be careful on those slick roads!!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by northeastFX4
You're from NY. I'm from Northern Maine. Summer is just 3 months of bad skiing for us, so we're kinda use to driving in snow.

You're making one hell of an assumption. The weather in NY gets pretty severe. We're not all in New York City. I spent two years at FT Drum, which is a little hell hole the Army uses for severe weather training.

I'm extremely used to driving in snow, and routinely laugh at people who wind up in the median driving like bats out of hell in it.

Whatever, do what you want, but I hope you don't wind up killing someone else driving excessively fast for conditions.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top speed, I think I saw 60 mph in my owners book but I can't for the life of me figure out what reason anyone would possibly need 4 hi at 60mph. 4x4 serves no purpose on the highway if you are already moving. It doesn't help you turn at speed, and it doesn't help you slow down. 4x4 is good for gaining momentum at a stop, little else during on-road opperation.

That is all, carry on.
The following users liked this post:
Spike0180 (10-04-2022)
Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Carpe Diem

Originally Posted by bluescrew
Top speed, I think I saw 60 mph in my owners book but I can't for the life of me figure out what reason anyone would possibly need 4 hi at 60mph. 4x4 serves no purpose on the highway if you are already moving. It doesn't help you turn at speed, and it doesn't help you slow down. 4x4 is good for gaining momentum at a stop, little else during on-road opperation.

That is all, carry on.

You're right. However, the road i was travelling on wasnt legit highway, it was more of a couuntry road where speed limits vary from 30 to 55. I tried it for a while in 2wd, but whenever I needed to accelerate or the truck downshifted the back end would slide out. So i decided to just keep it in 4 hi, and it drove like a dream. Stopping wasnt a problem either, i did some brake checks and she stopped fine. Turned good to. It was keeping speed that was the problem... Im gonna have to put some the weight in the bed soon enough, I jsut dont feel like seeing the *** end on the ground all winter haha (thats what you get for putting a leveling kit i guess)
The following users liked this post:
Spike0180 (10-04-2022)

Quick Reply: 4x4 Hi....Top Speed?