Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4R70E/4R75E F-150 Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4R70E/4R75E F-150 Transmissions

Which one do I have? Whats the difference between them? Which fluid line returns the ATF from the coolers back to the transmission on my Truck? What's the best location on this return line "to open it" so I can pump out the "old" fluid while adding the "new".

Dan.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Anyone have any info ... going to work on the truck today.

Dan.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 AM

Found 4R70E/4R75E transmission info on another internet site. According to the Ford manual both fluid lines "going to" and "coming from" the coolers connect to the "passenger side" of the transmission. The fluid from the bottom connection, on the side of the transmission, travels to the top connection of the radiator transmission cooler tank. The fluid then leaves through the bottom connection of the radiator transmission cooler tank and travels to the "driver side" connection on the auxiliary transmission cooler (OTA) mounted in front of the radiator. The fluid then leave the "passenger side" of the auxiliary transmission cooler and returns to the transmission entering through the top connection on the side of the transmission.

I removed the bottom pan (cover) on my transmission which dumped all the old fluid that was in the pan. Pulled the old filter out and replaced it with a new one. Cleaned the pan and magnet and then re-installed the pan. I then added 5 quarts of "Mercron V" ATF.

I then purged the remaining old fluid from my transmission by opening the "passenger side" connection on the auxiliary transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I then pumped out the old fluid by starting the engine for 30 seconds intervals and adding new fluid during the shutdown periods so the transmission fluid pump would not run dry.

I expected fluid would only come out of the auxiliary transmission cooler connection that was open, but to my surprise it came from the cooler and the return line I had disconnected. Maybe the transmission by-pass valve caused this backflow, don't know. I added 14 quarts of new fluid and drained about the same (including spills).

I suspect I got most of the old fluid out and most likely some of the new fluid. I have performed this purging method many times on my F-350 with the fluid only coming out one side of the "open connection".

Has anyone found a better way to purge the transmission fluid themselves?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Can you post the site where you found that? I just bought my 150 and I am curious to what the differences are with the two trannys.
THanks
Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM

"phenriches" I didn't post the internet address where I found the info because I actually checked out about 12 different sites and copied specific info as I found it. I don't remember the individual sites.

I googled topics such as ... 4R70E/4R75E transmissions, backflushing and flushing transmissions, routing of transmission lines, Ford Transmissions, and any other combination of words that I though would generate info.

To answer your question the 4R70E transmission is installed in the 4.6L, F-150, except the 2004 Heritage. The 4R75E transmission is installed in the 5.4L (3V) F-150. Don't know the difference between them.

Dan.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Well that is a start. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 4R70E/4R75E F-150 Transmissions