Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 Ford Transponder key

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Ford Transponder key

Hi All,

Question, do ford transponder keys have unique codes? Example-Key one has Code A and Key 2 has Code B and the car can read both. Or, do both keys from the factory have the same code?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Mark

Received 2,431 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Same code..
Old 09-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Tech! The reason I ask is that I am installing an aftermarket remote start system and it says it needs two keys to program and they cannot be clone keys.

I only have one key so I was wondering if I could just get a duplicate from Home Depot, or, if I had to go to Ford to get a non clone if they did in fact have two different codes.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Mark

Received 2,431 Likes on 2,129 Posts

You can order a key from Ford via vin# and I believe you can use the old key to program the new one or have Ford program it for you.. not sure what would be considered a “cloned key”... maybe some one that has done this will chime in for you. As far as the PATS system.. the 2 OEM keys are the same code as far as I know.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waccc
Thanks, Tech! The reason I ask is that I am installing an aftermarket remote start system and it says it needs two keys to program and they cannot be clone keys.

I only have one key so I was wondering if I could just get a duplicate from Home Depot, or, if I had to go to Ford to get a non clone if they did in fact have two different codes.

Maybe they are referring to a valet key when they say clone? idk.. When I programmed a couple extra key fobs for my truck, I didn't notice anything in the manual for programming the key (possible I may have missed it tho)...you might need to have either Ford do it, or a locksmith (IIRC, locksmiths charge equal to, sometimes more than a dealership..in my area anyway)...I don't believe places like Home Depot do programming (they tend to mess up car keys anyway)...either way, you'll need your title handy wherever you go. Good luck with your remote start..looking to get one myself with the cold temps coming up..

Quick Reply: 2008 Ford Transponder key