Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 F150 Crew XLT - Has anyone exeperience the following electrical failures...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Default 2008 F150 Crew XLT - Has anyone experienced the following electrical failures...

Hello,

Sorry for the long description, but I figure the more details the better. I searched around on this site to see if anyone else has experienced this same combination of issues. I did not find what I was after, so here is my long-winded question...

In April, the engine would die when the headlights were on as I shifted into (or through) reverse. Truck would only restart when headlights were turned to off position. Also, engine died anytime the high beams were turned on. I checked fuses and headlight ground wires, etc. and found no issues. I ended up taking truck to local mechanic. Mechanic found and replaced a faulty ignition switch. Problems still existed but were less frequent. Mechanic told me to disconnect battery completely for 24+ hours to let system "reset" itself. He also said if the "reset" did not work, take it to the Ford dealer. The issues did resolve and the truck was relatively symptom free for May, June, and July. One remaining problem was the odometer backlight intermittently was out.

In August, the previous engine dying with headlights on while shifting into reverse, & high beam issue returned. Within 2 days of the return of the engine dying when headlights are turned on and truck shifted into reverse (or high beams turned on), the truck had a major electrical failure. While driving on the highway with headlights on the engine died. Right before engine died, the truck seemed to shutter a bit like it was running rough. I looked at the gauges and saw the check engine light was on. I had not turned on high beams, so the engine dying at this time was unusual. I switched off the headlights, shifted into neutral, and restarted the truck while rolling down the highway. I was in traffic so I did not stop.
Once the truck was restarted, the instrument cluster failed. Speedo was (and is now) stuck at 40mph, Tach is stuck at 1200rpm, other gauges are stuck where they were when engine died. I was close to home, so was able to get the truck there on my own.

Once in the driveway, I began checking for other problems. Here is the list.
1. All gauges are stuck in positions they were in when the truck died
2. no tail lights
3. no turn signals or hazards
4. no brake lights
5. no radio
6. no power windows
7. no dash or dome lights
8. Only light on dash working is the Airbag warning light flashing.

Truck will start and run. Now truck runs with headlights turned on even when I shift through reverse and when I turn on high beams. Previously this would cause engine to die.

I plugged in a code reader and got the "No Codes" prompt. I checked battery, battery cables, and some of the headlight grounds I checked previously. No obvious problems found. I tried the battery disconnect again for the heck it and nothing was resolved.

I do have appointment at Ford dealer a week from now. In the meantime, I am checking fuses and electrical connections but not finding anything obvious.

Since I have a week to wait, I was hoping someone here might have experienced something similar or have some ideas to help me narrow my search.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Last edited by U.P._F150; 08-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.