Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 f-150, 4r75e over drive some times works

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 f-150, 4r75e over drive some times works

Hello, This is my first time on the site, and hoping that some one can help me.
I have a 2008 F-150 4x4 with a 5.4, and a 4R75E transmission. 132,000 miles
The problem is that the over drive will work some times and not some times not
The trans shifts smooth, and has no shutter. Some days the trans over drive will work just fine, and then the next time it might not work for a couple of days. I have check for codes on the engine and trans and there are none. We have gone into the KAM and reset the driver learning system, and it will work for about a day, then no over drive.
The tester shows that the overdrive switch is responding to the tester when it is on and off. I have taken it to a local trans shop and they said that it has no codes, and they cannot duplicate the problem. they had kept it for 4 days. I had the trans filter and fluid change there and they said that there was very little particles in the trans pan. I am wondering if it could be a faulty over drive solenoid or a weak solenoid. I know that if it was an electrical issue it would set a code in the computer. Is the solenoid active then it is in overdrive or is it cut off when when the switch is push on the shifter handle, then the light on the dash says OD OFF.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Grayhair
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on the post above?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Not sure about the electrical concern, which is something to be considered.

These trucks are notorious for the retaining ring in the overdrive servo to break, pieces fall into the valve body below, jam up the mechanisms, truck goes into neutral instead of OD as a fail safe to protect the tranny from damage.

Your case, or should I say from what I gather from the information provided would not immediately lead me to this conclusion, although it is probably the most common issue with these tranny's and, fortunately, easy to fix (cost me $2 for the clip plus new fluid to fix).

The intermittent problem/concern points towards something else perhaps.

What does it do when the OD is not working at the 3-4 shift point?

Does it kick into neutral or just stay in 3rd gear?

If stays in 3rd gear, an electrical concern would seem more likely.

Does reverse work properly?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the reply.
It just stays in 3rd, no slipping.
Reverse works just find.
Could it be a weak OD solenoid? no codes.
Thanks
Grayhair
Old 10-23-2017, 10:26 AM

What sub-model is your truck? I ask this to determine if you have a column or console shifter.

You should also inspect the linkage where the shift cable connects to the tranny. This connection is also a common fail point.

If inspection visually seems good, then have someone get in the truck while you are under, shift from park, through each gear selection down to 1. Repeat back to Park.

All the while, verifying that the shift indicator position in the cab is matching the positions at the transmission.

These can get off occasionally and there are two "shift position sensors" that monitor whether it is in gear completely or not. Adjustments are relatively straight forward.

You simply want the "click" into gear at the transmission to match the selector position in the cab completely.

Not saying this is the issue, merely a possibility, and one that is easy, and FREE to inspect and rule out.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by grayhair
Thanks for the reply.
It just stays in 3rd, no slipping.
Reverse works just find.
Could it be a weak OD solenoid? no codes.
Thanks
Grayhair
I'm sure you've probably tried this already but....

Have you manipulated the OD switch on and off when the concern occurs? At various RPM's?

Tried from stop, accelerating, beginning in 1st gear, manually shifting up through the gears? Does anything different happen?

Have you at any time gotten a sudden "POP" / "BANG" when the truck shifted from 3-4?

When did this start and was it all of a sudden, one day it just didn't shift, or is there an instance where something may have occurred that prompted the symptoms to manifest?

Just trying to get as many details as possible to more accurately try to help you out.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM

The shifter is on the column.
I will look at the linkage when I get home.
I have tried to make it shift in and out of overdrive while driving down the highway at different speeds, I have accelerated to hit passing gear, and hoping that might help go into over drive.
Still no luck.
The other day it would not shift into OD until about driving about 20 miles on the highway.
That after noon I drove it home and it never shifted into OD the whole 30 minutes of driving.
I don't hear any noise when it does shifts into OD.
I bought this truck recently from a Texas state agency. The truck looked very clean and well taken care of.
Grayhair

Trending Topics

Old 10-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I would check the linkage on the tranny where it connects to the tranny shift lever.. if that all checks out I would guess weak solenoid..
The following users liked this post:
grayhair (11-06-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:22 AM

I just check the shifting linkage and all looks good.
I drove it home yesterday and the OD work fine, and the cruise control work also.
I forgot to mention that when the OD will not work, the cruise control will not work either.
I am trying to see if the cruise control is causing the OD not to work vice versa?
Thanks
Grayhair