Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 5.4 Dash Cuts Out and Back On Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Default 2007 5.4 Dash Cuts Out and Back On Randomly

Hey guys im hoping yall can give me some 11th gen guidance. My dad has an 07 F150 5.4 wt 4x4 and it has some issues and I think they are all related.

1. Sometimes truck will not acknowledge the ignition is being turned in park, but if you shift to neutral it cranks every time. There is no clicking or any noise honestly. It just plays dead.
2. Full dash will sometimes die and then come back to life while driving. Every gauge will fall back to resting and the radio will turn off for a second or two then it will come back to life as if nothing was wrong. The engine stays running with full power while this occurs.
3. When gauges die there is a strange scraping sound coming from under the truck that goes away as soon as everything comes back to life.

Background: Dads starter went bad and chewed up the flywheel. Both were replaced by a family friend who has done work for us in the past and has always done a great job. However, these new problems surfaced a week after he worked on it. We cant take it back to him even if it is his fault because he is too old and it is too hot outside for him to be doing the work right now. If we take it to him and say find the problem and fix it, it could be weeks to get it back and we no longer have a spare vehicle for Dad to work out of.

Im thinking grounds but I have no idea where to begin on his truck. Any help would be awesome!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Not starting in drive sounds like a neutral safety switch to me but could be something else.

When the gauges die I'm guessing that the grinding noise is the IWEs maybe? Not getting the signal to stay in 2wd so it's trying to engage?

Just a couple guesses, hopefully someone else can give you better ideas.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by BadFish523
Not starting in drive sounds like a neutral safety switch to me but could be something else.

When the gauges die I'm guessing that the grinding noise is the IWEs maybe? Not getting the signal to stay in 2wd so it's trying to engage?

Just a couple guesses, hopefully someone else can give you better ideas.
I hadn't even thought of the IWEs but that would make sense. The neutral safety switch also crossed my mind but I don't know these trucks very well.
Thank you for the ideas.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is your Window Sticker
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
f150 forum window sticker.pdf (2.36 MB, 62 views)

Quick Reply: 2007 5.4 Dash Cuts Out and Back On Randomly