Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 long tube headers install and starter rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Question 2006 long tube headers install and starter rebuild

hey guys i just removed my tranny to replace with rebuild on tuesday.

i also have a passenger side exhaust manifold that leaks[ it makes the classic ticking sound and theres black soot around 2 ports closest to firewall]
i would like to fix the leak at very least and if possible install long tube headers i have on hand.

any tips on how to best get old ones removed without breaking any head studs and how to install long tube headers.
does engine mount need to come off and jack up one side at a time to get headers in?

should i also rebuild starter/solenoids while its disconnected since its such a pain to remove without all this stuff removed?
i was having some starting problems this winter where it just wouldnt even try to turn over. at first i suspected a starter but then i completely removed battery and warmed it over night since it was minus 25 celcius at the time. then charged it next day after warmed up and it has started ever since so i am not sure if starter is starting to go or it was all just battery issues.

note; passenger wheel well is out, drivers wheel well is half out
entire exhaust system and shields except manifolds is out, xsfer case is out, driveshaft is out. front driveshaft is only disconnected at xsfer case so there will never again be this much room to work on this stuff

Last edited by curtk69; 05-10-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

You probably only need to jack up the pass side of the motor to get them both in and out.. Give every stud a good soaking, and work them back and forth before you crank them out.. Good call on swapping the starter while there's room.
. I would also suggest you change the front 02 sensors out while your in the area and adding headers... High flow cats would also be a good idea..

What brand long tubes are you running?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

The studs shouldn't be at risk to snap unless it has a ton of miles and a lot of corrosion under the hood.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scobar
The studs shouldn't be at risk to snap unless it has a ton of miles and a lot of corrosion under the hood.
the studs are very rusty and there is 217 000 km on the vehicle

just now i noticed closest stud to firewall on bottom side of exhaust manifold was loose. so tried tightening it.
it seems to be stripped as it wont tighten. that explains my exhaust manifold leak.
i think now, i will forget about installing headers due to extreme pain trying to just access and loosen all these hard to reach manifold stud/bolts and fact that i need to fix stripped stud/hole PLUS the fitment issues i am sure to encounter. PLUS i will need to rebuild or replace entire exhaust which is surprisingly in excelent condition making me think it is newer then rest of vehicle
i think headers will have to wait until the motor blows or otherwise requires motor to be removed

NEXT PROBLEM.
while removing exhaust system , i broke a stud in this passenger side exhaust manifold that bolts the exhaust system to the manifold.

What are the chances just one of the 2 bolts/studs will be strong enough to hold exhaust system together leak free and strong enough to not jiggle and break remaining stud ??

OR should i at least try to remove this broken stud and replace?
odds are it wont just turn out and will need to drill out this broken stud and use extractor set to remove remnents

Quick Reply: 2006 long tube headers install and starter rebuild