Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F-150 Dome Light, Radio and Door Ajar problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F-150 Dome Light, Radio and Door Ajar problems

Hello all,

I've owned my 2006 Lariat F-150 Super Crew since new and has been relatively problem free, with the exception of the A/C not working properly since new, until a few weeks ago. (That's another post).

First issue was the radio not going off after the keys were removed, doors shut and locked. Thought it was door switch related because opening the passenger door would kill the radio. It was intermittent, no problem for a few days then it would come back.

Second issue, I'd turn the truck off then the dome lights would come on and the door chime would activate before the doors were opened. Opening and closing either door had no effect. Starting and stopping the truck had no change. If I removed the keys the dome light stays on and the door chime would deactivate. After closing the door the dome light would stays on. Unlocking and locking via the remote killed the light.

Third issue, driving down the road the door ajar light comes on, open and shut all four doors, no change. Then within a minute the "door ajar" lamp goes off. Later in the night I'm backing out of a parking spot, when the dome and door ajar lights come on for 5 seconds then shut off.

The only thing I've checked so far is the accessory delay relay, I've rotated them and it didn't seem to help.

Could it be the door switch? I guess but why would unlocking and locking via the remote work.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rob
Old 01-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You most likely have a short in the wire bundle the comes from the drivers side dash to the door. You can see this when you open the door.. need to get in there with a meter and troubleshoot. Common problem with our years.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:19 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

had an issue with the dome light staying on and flickering in my work truck. Pls correct me if I am wrong, but the sensor to tell the light to go on/off is built within the door lock mechanism itself. U may have to find out which one, but typically it's the drivers door.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Well, I took the harness apart, no visible damage as far as I can tell. All wire insulation appears good. Ran out of daylight so I put everything back together. No change, dome lights and door chime are on when truck is shut off with all doors shut.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM

I'm not sure if this is related, but my dome light goes on when I turn the dash lights on.....wait 10 minutes for the cab to get warm then you can turn the dash light and NO dome light....So you have to drive for 10 min with no dash lights. Also when I open the drivers door it does NOT unlock all the other doors. 2005 lariat 4x4. I have changed the headlight /dimmer switch. same thing. could this be the drivers door lock also? sticking until warm that's why it thinks door is open and dome light on? If I don't turn the dash lights off after driving the battery will be dead. Dash lights aren't on....thinking when it gets cold again the dome light comes back on. I did see it on in the middle of the night one time. Any ideas.....problem is very consistent.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Probably some bad solder joints on the cluster. The cluster controls a lot of problems as a lot of stuff runs through the cluster. This applies to both Big E and easy284. Especially for easy284 as when the cluster heats up the bad soldered joint expands and make the needed connections.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Comment deleted wrong post. My bad.

Last edited by FordFrenzy06; 03-22-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by FordFrenzy06
Measure twice pull once. Come on man. I care way too much about my truck to make a mistake like that.
??? Wat?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_E
Well, I took the harness apart, no visible damage as far as I can tell. All wire insulation appears good. Ran out of daylight so I put everything back together. No change, dome lights and door chime are on when truck is shut off with all doors shut.
Did you pull off the rubber boot in the drivers door jamb in between the door and truck body? Common spot for wires to break from the door opening and closing. If those are all good pull up the sill plate on he left rear door. Look for a solid purple wire and follow it where it starts to run up the rear c pillar. There will be a splice where 2 purple wires connect to one. This splice corrodes and breaks commonly on the Latinate.