Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 4.6L Which heads to replace with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 4.6L Which heads to replace with?

2006 4.6 STX 4x4, 116k miles, had it in for an oil change and asked my mechanic price a tune-up (even with it being a 4.6 I do not want to test my luck with the plugs) and my mechanic (who is an old school guy) said to leave it alone until it starts showing issues of needing it (misfire etc). Right or wrong for not doing it, two days later cylinder 3 decided at 60mph on the highway to eject the plug and took the threads with it. Had it towed to a shop that also has a full machine shop next door and had a insert put in. It runs although you can hear air escaping past the insert so it is only a matter of time before that one lets go. Am I just as well getting a new set of heads at around $340 a piece from Rock Auto (I checked O'Riely and the sell the same part# but like $60 more) or is there a better option that I have not seen? I have searched and searched and besides the idea of getting twisted flow at a ton of money I hadn't seen any other available option.

The replacement heads at RA are at least beefier and PI design, I found this for reman that comes with time serts already installed and wasn't sure if that would be a better option or not? Reman

I just wanted to check before I pull the trigger and order both heads and gaskets and new bolts etc. the replacement heads at RA are at least beefier and PI design, I found this for reman that comes with time serts already installed and wasn't sure if that would be a better option or not?

Thanks in advanced, I bought this truck in December from a neighbor (the truck was her husbands who passed 2 years ago), put brand new BFG AT tires new stereo, running boards, several other smaller items but it all adds up quickly so I got too much into it to not fix it at this point.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jlfirehawk
Had it towed to a shop that also has a full machine shop next door and had a insert put in. It runs although you can hear air escaping past the insert so it is only a matter of time before that one lets go.
Did they use a Helicoil? I would take it to someone that knows how and has done the repair with a Time Sert. It's a fairly common problem and done correctly it should last.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't 06's already have pi heads? Thought the grand marquis and crown vic were the last ones to transition to pi heads and that was around '02. Look for any place that sells 99-04 mustang ported heads, that's a cheaper option than the twisted wedge one. Modular head shop or MMR both have a good reputation.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking I guess it did have factory PI heads. I ended up finding a dealership and traded it in so now I no longer have to worry about it.