Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 SuperCrew Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2005 F150 SuperCrew Suspension

Was considering upgrading my 05 S-Crew to a new F150 but am going to hang on to the old girl for awhile and buy the wife a new rig instead. The truck runs good, 5000 mile oil change intervals since I've had it. Bought it in 09 with approximately 60K miles, now has 117K. Brought her in for a brake and rotor replacement this morning since it was due. Now I am looking at upgrading/replacing the suspension since it seems to ride slightly rougher than when I first got her.

I've been looking at the Rancho QuickLift system with the 9000 series shocks and wanted to get your guys opinion before I pulled the trigger. Those of you that have made the swap, are you happy with the upgrade? I do some towing, most of it is under 3500 lbs. I am mostly looking to improve my ride on the rough road/rock road conditions. The truck seems to be a little jarring at times. I'm fairly certain the previous owner installed a leveling kit that preloads the front coils (e.g. inbetween the spring and the top mount) which I'm sure plays a large part. I hopped in my buddys 13 F150 and the thing rides like a dream which is what provoked this change.

I'm currently running a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers - 295/70/17 on a set of Ultra Goliath rims. Might be making a swap there as well. I bought the tires in '13 and made a bonehead move. Didn't rotate tires for a good 20k miles and the fronts have worn down on the outside edge quite a bit. Back's still seem to be in great shape. Considering purchasing (2) new Nitto's, installing them on the back and moving the others up front. Would you guys recommend that or purchasing all (4) new? Kind of throws things out of sync just replacing (2) I know.

Any other upgrades/maintenance items you guys would suggest? I had the original plugs replaced at 90K, only one broke! The other thing I have yet to install, is the factory OEM cloth seat cover for the drivers side seat bottom. I searched EVERYWHERE for awhile to hunt one down and finally did. The edge was torn and foam broken down. Just need to install the new cover and foam and she will be as good as new.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2016, 01:37 PM

Service shop just called me and informed me the right caliper was sticking causing uneven brake wear. Does $715 plus tax for new rotors, pads calipers sound out of left field?? I am not at home and don't have access to any of my tools or else I would have tackled this job myself.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSCREW
Service shop just called me and informed me the right caliper was sticking causing uneven brake wear. Does $715 plus tax for new rotors, pads calipers sound out of left field?? I am not at home and don't have access to any of my tools or else I would have tackled this job myself.
For all 4?
Old 07-29-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by connorfx4
For all 4?
Unfortunately, it is only for the front. I called around and a few other shops quoted me around the same $700 figure. You don't even want to know what FORD wanted to do the job.

Labor Rate is $80/hr for 3 hrs of work = $240
Rotors = $150
Pads = $80
Calipers = $220

This is the break down estimate that I came up with for quality parts I found online.

It seems to be in the ball park.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Those figures are about right.

Talk about a kick to the nuts.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

700 dollars.. this is why i do my own work and became a mechanic lol...

get the rotors cut.. if they arent too bad..

use rockauto..

you can get motorcraft calipers for 50 bucks EACH

same for rotors...

but if you rather not mess with any of it.. 700 bucks seems alright i guess
Old 07-29-2016, 09:48 PM

I would have done the job myself,
But I'm traveling. By the time I bought the tools, I would have had about what I paid to do it.

All is good though! Picked it up tonight and the brakes feel great. They used all premium Centric pads, rotors and calipers. No rebuilt calipers, all new parts.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by grss429

use rockauto..

same for rotors...

Motorcraft calipers seem to be a little higher then 50 here. I'll check rockauto
Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by grss429

use rockauto..

same for rotors...

Found them on rockauto. They're the reman ones for 50 after core deposit. Not a bad deal if you want to go that route though!

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 SuperCrew Suspension