Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 5.4 harmonic balancer noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 5.4 harmonic balancer noise!

Hi everyone, my truck is making a weird noise coming from the harmonic balancer. It started happening after I pulled the balancer and front cover to replace the timing chains and guides. I Beleive I might have messed up putting the balancer back on as if I torque it down it rubs the front cover. I have the 5.4 3v engine. Attached is a video of the noise. Please help!
The following users liked this post:
Bryan Gillis (04-16-2021)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Resolved this issue?

Hi everyone, my truck is making a weird noise coming from the harmonic balancer. It started happening after I pulled the balancer and front cover to replace the timing chains and guides. I Beleive I might have messed up putting the balancer back on as if I torque it down it rubs the front cover. I have the 5.4 3v engine. Attached is a video of the noise. Please help!

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jmfm

Maybe the key fell out of the crankshaft when you reinstalled the harmonic balancer ? Or over tightened the harmonic balancer ? Pull it and start over.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Key didn't fall out. I loosened up the harmonic balancer and pulled it back with puller a slight bit and it didn't make any difference. Is it possible to over tighten the harmonic balancer?
is it possible to have a problem in oil pump? I did just replace it.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:18 PM

Key didn't fall out. I loosened up the harmonic balancer and pulled it back with puller a slight bit and it didn't make any difference. Is it possible to over tighten the harmonic balancer?
is it possible to have a problem in oil pump? I did just replace it.
is it possible that you did not install the oil pump properly onto the crankshaft flats - that may be the noise your hearing. The oil pump installs onto the crankshaft one position, but must fully seat onto the crankshaft flats. Watch Ford Tech Makuloco's video on this subject.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default I second that on the oil pump

One of the brightest guys on here did just that . You must be very careful to make sure its seated correctly . He broke the oil pump but he confessed on here to help us all. You have to gently fiddle with it until its seated .
There is a torque procedure for the crankshaft bolt . I measured mine to the timing cover before taking it off and I knew it had a two step torque value . It went to the correct position . After having a corvette throwing belts I knew this could be a problem . I did make a steel bar to bolt up to the pulley in order to hold it .
Old 04-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

When I had my timing chains done I had them install and brand new harmonic balancer (Ford) at the same time to avoid any potential problems like you're having. Not that I thought of it though. The shop manager suggested it. They aren't cheap either. I could have bought 4-5 water pumps for the same price.

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2018, 02:49 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Torquing crank pulley .

Well that's not a harmonic balancer on a 5.4 3v it is a straight pulley no rubber center or anything like that .

But I will try to copy torque procedure for you . There is not a lot of space left to timing cover maybe an eight of an inch ? Just from memory .
crank pulley 66 foot pounds , then loosen one turn, then back to 37 foot pounds , then turn an additional 90 degrees . That is my notes can't find the exact torque file from factory . You will have to mark it to get it right . Check manual if this confusing .
This is another reason I made a bar to bolt to pulley so with a piece of pipe I could jam it to keep engine from moving .
Old 04-20-2018, 02:55 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Is it possible you put pulley on backwards ? Just a thought . Bolt is one time use as threads are stress stretched . I use old bolt without washer to start pulley then new one with washer . Half moon key is coated with sealant while assembling to prevent oil leak.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Did you use a new bolt when reinstalling the harmonic balancer. Believe those are torque to yield bolts that can only be used one time.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 harmonic balancer noise!