Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 5.4 3v Spark Plug Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 5.4 3v Spark Plug Problem

I know that they're probably not that many 2004 F150s that are over 100k miles but mine is. I took it in to have the spark plugs changed and found out that there is a problem with them getting stuck and breaking off in the head. This is almost funny (almost) because of the issues with the earlier Fords spitting plugs out. In the end, the result is the same...they want to take the cylinder head off to get them out...which is expensive. Anybody else experience this problem yet???
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the site.
Do a search there are a few threads about this. Who's working on your truck? The dealer's, all of them, should be aware of this issue as Ford has issued a TSB on how to go about changing them. I think the engine has to be pulled to remove the heads. Good luck with it.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Been there

Hey, check out my update on my same problem. Have a good Ford mechanic fill the cyclinder with compressed air and chip away some of the porcelin until they can use the "special Ford tool" to remove the reminants. I did not have to have the head pulled (which requires engine pull for most mechainics). However...they just got the plugs out they had already broken. I also e-mailed Ford and got a kind of "tough ****" response. My advice is to get the ones broken out, replace, and dump the truck. Trade it in for an '05... they don't have the same problem from what I understand.

Good luck either way you go. Don't try to do it yourself. Let Ford know the problem and your disgust. You are not the only one, but don't expect a miracle from them right now. It is going to take a lot more compaints, but I am confident that they will get them soon.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mk_two
My advice is to get the ones broken out, replace, and dump the truck. Trade it in for an '05... they don't have the same problem from what I understand.
05's have the same potential problem, really they all do. Ford started to add anti-seize on the 06's and up from the factory to help prevent this. The head/plug design is the same on all of them from 04 and up. So even if you have a 07 you could still end up with the same problem, less likely but it's possible. They all should be removed per the TSB.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mk_two
Hey, check out my update on my same problem. Have a good Ford mechanic fill the cyclinder with compressed air and chip away some of the porcelin until they can use the "special Ford tool" to remove the reminants. I did not have to have the head pulled (which requires engine pull for most mechainics). However...they just got the plugs out they had already broken. I also e-mailed Ford and got a kind of "tough ****" response. My advice is to get the ones broken out, replace, and dump the truck. Trade it in for an '05... they don't have the same problem from what I understand.

Good luck either way you go. Don't try to do it yourself. Let Ford know the problem and your disgust. You are not the only one, but don't expect a miracle from them right now. It is going to take a lot more compaints, but I am confident that they will get them soon.

I hear what you are saying...but I LOVE my truck! I cant just dump it!! I feel like one of those people that will spend thousands of dollars on their pet when they need to go to the vet. My problem is that I dont want to have to deal with this problem...but I will. I need to hear from more people that have experienced this same problem. Just like you said...there needs to be more complaints. I kinda keep getting the same response from the dealership that..."ford probably wont do anything for you". Scattered and individual complaints wont get too far but a well organized mass complaint from LOTS of people might get someone to listen. I suggest contacting the local news or something. I know, this sounds stupid...but...the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!! I emailed a guy that does consumer reporting in my area (seattle) to let him know about the situation. Probably wont do much but he did suggest filing a complaint with the state attorney general (against the shop that broke the plugs). I am planning to take them to small claims...again...who knows if it will make a difference or not. Gotta try, right? THERE IS NO WAY I SHOULD BURDEN THE RESPONSIBLITY FOR FORDS PROBLEM...OR THE INCOMPETENCE OF THE LOCAL MECHANIC.

PS: no offense to any mechanics out there...
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM
partmech

Thumbs up Tough problem with plugs poor design by Ford

Oh yes and I think this is not the mechanics fault, this is a poor design by the engineers. But I have a bigger problem because a local dealer stated they changed my plugs and now #3 cylinder is not firing. I brought the truck to another local dealer and they found a lot of junk in the cylinder and as well as the coil not functioning. My end result was to have the head pulled because they cannot pull the plug out to change it. So they beleive the plug was never changed because all dealers are required to use anti seize when the plugs are replaced. The end result is I will be taking the previous dealer to court once I either get the broken plug out and or the head changed due the damage done to the cylinder.

PS: Old plugs have a different part number than the new numbers.

And by the way you can take the head off with the engine still in the truck, it just takes more time to do it with the limited space, you should consider pulling off the cab to give youself more room since the job is suppose to take about 21 hours.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 3v Spark Plug Problem