Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

1-2 hang on shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Default 1-2 hang on shift

Greetings, so I've noted the truck hangs on 1-2 shift, it's like the shift is delayed, and kind of winds out a little bit. If you give it more gas, it will shift faster, but that seems silly.

Google-foo shares that it can be:
  1. a broken spring in 1-2 accum piston. Last time I was in there springs were not broken.
  2. Worn 1-2 accum piston. A new one was installed with no change.
  3. Scratches or wear in 1-2 accum bore. I did not see any wear or starches.

I also saw this: http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2381-1-2...tor-sleeve-kit, but am hesitant to throw more parts at it without getting some input. I am not a trans guy!

Knowns:
Valve body has some mods, a tuf stuff plate (stock holes), line booster, servo. Issues present before these parts added. Had a separator plate with larger holes, the shifts were firmer, but still a delay on 1-2.
Resetting tune does not matter.

Trans has 65k on it, fluid is perfect.

My goal for 2017 is to fix the top 3 things I cannot stand about my truck:
  1. 1-2 shift
  2. Belt chirp
  3. Replace DVD screen deck with better unit
Old 03-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Blown Mafia

Wow, nothing
Old 03-05-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My 06 hangs on 3-4 shift on occasion. I notice it mainly after a cold start. Once everything warms up, it shifts just fine.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 06. I had delayed 1-2 shift and when it shifted it banged into gear. I cleaned the valve body out installed a Sonnax Sure Cure kit, new accumulators, new filter and fluid and the problem was solved. You might just have silt built up in the valve body.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Blown Mafia

The VB has been dropped and cleaned with brake parts cleaner the last time fluid was changed with filter which was <2k ago. Before that, it also did this weird hang on 1-2. It ends up shifting at a higher RPM which makes my belt chirp more

The springs/*****/accumulators are in the correct spots, this was checked twice and crossed off on a drawing on reassembly.

I just honestly don't know
Old 03-11-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Did it do this prior to your SC? I'm wondering if it's in your tune? Also I think the consensus is that belt chirp is perfectly normal with these engines when performance mods/tune are applied.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Blown Mafia

The 1-2 hang started after the blower, and after being on this tune for some time. It is on my todo to find a competent tuner to have this retuned. The valve body mods were added after the tune so could play a part into it though the mods I did are not that extreme.

For the belt chirp I have bought another new serp belt and a new water pump pulley. Before these are installed going to check out the other pulleys yet again. Belt chirps on 1-2 and 2-3, not just WOT. The belt chirp at WOT shift is a known issue on the f150, and did it NA on canned SCT tune(WOT only). With blower it is more often, though I think this is more to do with the work down to the valve body for quicker/sharp shifts The belt was taken off last weekend and scrubbed down with soap and a toothbrush, and all pulleys scrubbed down. They turn freely, I even put my old tensioner back on as the idler rolled smoother/better than the new. Still chirps. New water pump pulley is smooth powder coating, so not hopeful this will help though the one that's in there is polished almost like chrome. With the exhaust quieter now the chirp is more obnoxious, as is my exhaust leak.

If it wasn't for all the work done to the truck I'd prob sell it and buy an eco screw, but I'm emotionally invested

Last edited by scobar; 03-11-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Tuff plate wont cause the symptoms you are describing. you have either have sticking/worn valve, something is up with the Tune or a combination of the two.

For a good tune, contact Marty at Mo's speed shop. https://www.mosspeedshop.com/ - you can also find them on facebook

It is very common for the Pressure regulator valve to wear and for the boost valve to wear. its also possible the 1-2 shift valve is sticking, the plug that sits at the end of the shift valve is leaking or the shift solenoid pressure regulator valve is sticking. Sonnax sells most of these replacement parts. I always check all these valves for wear and replace with Sonnax parts when I am building a valve body, especially for a supercharged vehicle. I also have the special tool to re-size the bore for the solenoid pressure regulator valve.

read about the solenoid regulator valve here.. http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2399-sol...ator-valve-kit

Last edited by mitymerc; 03-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Blown Mafia

Thanks for the info, anything else I should look at/replace while I am in there?