Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'08 infamous idling issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 infamous idling issues

I'm new here and I've been reading posts to troubleshoot an issue that I'm having with my 2008 150 with 120K miles. I've seen some similar situations but nothing specific like mine so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

It started after I waited too long between oil changes (I know but I just couldn't get to it). The idle was getting really rough and even stalling in stop and go type situations. Thinking the issue was low oil, I changed the oil but it only continued. The check engine eventually came on and I brought it to my mechanic and he indicated that it was probably from low oil pressure and that he would clear it and see what happens after driving it a little bit.

I've been driving it for several days and it's much better except when the engine is warm and I'm in traffic or pressing on the gas and off again. When the RPMs come down, it gets really rough and potentially stalls unless I put it in park or neutral and then rev the engine. When it comes back down it fine.

Like I said, it only does this when it's warm or in stop and go traffic situations like at a light or in a line. I'm wondering if it's an oil viscosity issue or if I should remove the oil pan and see if there any gunk there that might be causing the issue. Is there something else I should look at?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:44 PM

Think you need a new mechanic. He should have looked at the code and then he would have known what to look for.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

have you cleaned out your MAF sensor and TB?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

^^^Check the code, clean the MAF, throttle body, and inspect you FPDM (fuel pump delivery module) on your rear axle,
Old 05-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

the MAF sensor and TB clean are really simple to do honestly. just make sure you get the right cleaners from the auto shop. they are 2 different types specifically. dont scrub the TB with hard brushes. there is a teflon coating on the inside to keep buildup from occurring. granted when you look at the inside you will prolly think its all gone to chit =P

with the MAF, just disconnect all the plugs, pull it out and spray it down. let it air dry, dont get any of the pins wet, you will ruin the sensors.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by bluescrew08
Think you need a new mechanic. He should have looked at the code and then he would have known what to look for.
He did look at the code and based on the code and the fact that I had a low oil level before the change and the fact that the VCT uses oil pressure to regulate itself that it would improve which it did as I indicated. The only issue now is when the engine is warm and I'm in stop and go situations like at a stop light/sign or in a drive thru. Otherwise it's fine.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kamison
the MAF sensor and TB clean are really simple to do honestly. just make sure you get the right cleaners from the auto shop. they are 2 different types specifically. dont scrub the TB with hard brushes. there is a teflon coating on the inside to keep buildup from occurring. granted when you look at the inside you will prolly think its all gone to chit =P

with the MAF, just disconnect all the plugs, pull it out and spray it down. let it air dry, dont get any of the pins wet, you will ruin the sensors.
Thanks for the suggestions and that sounds reasonable. It just seems odd to me that it only happens when the engine is warm and I'm in a stop and go situation like a traffic light or waiting in line at a drive thru. Since reving the engine seems to clear it, I thought it was related to the oil pressure issue.

Quick Reply: '08 infamous idling issues