Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 F150 4x4 growl

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 06 F150 4x4 growl

I was driving my son's 06 F150 4x4 for a couple days. Thought I heard a growling noise coming from the LF wheel area. The more I drove it the worse it got...up to a point. Watched some you tube videos thinking I could diagnose the problem. Thought it was a locking hub actuator because it kinda sounded like the truck in one of the videos. So I raised the front end and gave the tire a spin, and its as quiet as a church mouse. Same with RF too.
When I'm driving down the road, I can change the noise by slightly moving the steering wheel as if Im rounding a bend or a curve in the road. And then again by countering the movement.
I'm about to take the LF actuator apart just to see if everything is ok.
Anybody got any information or input on it, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this identical issue 5 or 6 years ago and it turned out to be a wheel bearing. If it growls louder when turning wheel to the right it is more than likely the left wheel bearing and vice versa. I just changed that same wheel bearing/hub assembly last week because it was so loose that it caused my front left brakes to drag but no associated noise with it this time. I got a Moog hub assembly online for $130 with 3 year warranty and it was fairly simple to replace myself.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Thats just about a perfect description of wheel bearing symptoms.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Default 06 growling front axle

I did just so happen to check the wheel bearing (checked both sides)by grabbing tire at 12 and 6 position. Didn't get an ounce of play. I did notice on my last trip, that when I hit the brakes at highway speeds, I'd get a vibration like a rotor was warped. It didn't do that at all on my first drive with it about a week ago, the last time it was driven before the rotor type vibe occured. Do you think the wheel bearing still could be going bad? This problem is sure driving me nutz!

Originally Posted by GoBigRed512
Had this identical issue 5 or 6 years ago and it turned out to be a wheel bearing. If it growls louder when turning wheel to the right it is more than likely the left wheel bearing and vice versa. I just changed that same wheel bearing/hub assembly last week because it was so loose that it caused my front left brakes to drag but no associated noise with it this time. I got a Moog hub assembly online for $130 with 3 year warranty and it was fairly simple to replace myself.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 PM

Default growling f150

Found the problem, but only after truck was driven and warmed up. At first I started off with the "exploratory surgery" on the left, where it sounded like it was coming from. Everything was good there. Checked RF wheel bearing while jacked up, all things tight. Took it for a drive with another experienced mechanically inclined neighbor. Even though sounded like LF, he could really feel the ''growl"in his right foot on the floorboard. Got home, jacked it up, grabbed the RF tire... and boom! there is was a loose bearing! Seems that it wouldn't rear its ugly head until it got a little warm.
Thanks for all the pointers and info, everyone involved.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 4x4 growl