Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 F150 4wd conversion

Old 04-12-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go offloading about 7 times a month and want you go 4wd. I am thinking about a dana 44 axle. My dad got the truck in 05 without 4wd(he thought that 4wd vehicles(even in 2wd) got noticeably worse gas milage) this truck is worth more than its weight in gold I do not care about how much the truck is worth. I just want to know what parts are needed, where to get them (not from a scrap yard) (also need to be new) I will attach a picture later but you can tell where the 4wd switch was made to be. She is a 5.4l supercab 6.5' bed. I was also wondering who makes a good replacement/upgraded fuel tank.this 26 gallon just isn't cutting it for me and I don't want something in the bed or anywhere else. A 36 gallon tank would be fine, 50 would be awesome but not needed. Don't say "just get a new truck". Please give an actual parts list and (if possibl:e prices) and links. This was my Dad's truck, he died and now it is mine so selling it or getting a different truck simply is not an option.

Last edited by ChristianFonF150; 04-13-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Search 4WD conversion thread...been talked about several times. Not worth the money ! be better off trading or selling your 2WD and buying a 4WD.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

The coin holder on your dash is where the 4wd switch is supposed to be. Honestly, not worth it. You can buy a beater 4x4 for under 4 grand easy. With the axle alone, you're looking at close to 3k new. Transfer case is about 4k new. If you want to have auto locking hubs, you're looking at about 100 bucks + wiring. Not to mention, you have to get new suspension up front since youre changing all the geometry of the truck...5k for all new parts roughly? Dude, just get a beater and enjoy your truck as she sits
Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Monks

As for your fuel tank....how big do you want? Are you trekking 400+ miles away from a gas station?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 26 gallon tank and I cruise across Texas all the time. I never get below a half tank and I am willing to bet it's one of the most desolate drives (From El Paso to Austin) in southern North America. Unless you're in rural Alaska or Montana, the gas tank should be more than capable of taking you as far as you need to go.

As for offroading- if your truck is sentimental to you, don't tear it up either offroading or dismantling it... do what Nutkase said, grab an old 4x4, a few jerry cans, and a $99 mechanics set that fits in the backseat and you'll still be under the cost of a conversion. The 2WD Scab will get better mileage than a 4WD scab or screw. Ask me how I know
The following users liked this post:
650NutKase (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Monks

Originally Posted by dunderton
i have a 26 gallon tank and i cruise across texas all the time. I never get below a half tank and i am willing to bet it's one of the most desolate drives (from el paso to austin) in southern north america. Unless you're in rural alaska or montana, the gas tank should be more than capable of taking you as far as you need to go.

As for offroading- if your truck is sentimental to you, don't tear it up either offroading or dismantling it... Do what nutkase said, grab an old 4x4, a few jerry cans, and a $99 mechanics set that fits in the backseat and you'll still be under the cost of a conversion. The 2wd scab will get better mileage than a 4wd scab or screw. Ask me how i know
chuco town in the house!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Dunderton (04-12-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunderton
I have a 26 gallon tank and I cruise across Texas all the time. I never get below a half tank and I am willing to bet it's one of the most desolate drives (From El Paso to Austin) in southern North America. Unless you're in rural Alaska or Montana, the gas tank should be more than capable of taking you as far as you need to go. As for offroading- if your truck is sentimental to you, don't tear it up either offroading or dismantling it... do what Nutkase said, grab an old 4x4, a few jerry cans, and a $99 mechanics set that fits in the backseat and you'll still be under the cost of a conversion. The 2WD Scab will get better mileage than a 4WD scab or screw. Ask me how I know
My dad thought it was a 6 mpg difference

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 F150 4wd conversion