Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 5.4 Cylinder 3 Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 5.4 Cylinder 3 Misfires

Hello everyone,

First time Ford owner here: Bought a 06 Lariat with 163K on it. After 24 hours of owning it the check engine light comes on for a Cylinder 3 misfire, with a rough idle but drives fine for the most part, some loss of power. I take it back to the dealer, they fix it, problem solved.
I'm gone for a month, mother is driving it occasionally, I think total it's had 700 miles on it up until this point. Check engine light comes back on for the same issue. I take it back to the dealer, a dumbass mechanic tries to fix it, it shows as fixed until I drive away, when I hard acceleration and the check engine light starts flashing. I believe it goes off after turning off the truck later, and comes back so I get it fixed a third time.

The first time they pulled out all of the coils and plugs, and swap the bad one. Second time I am not sure what they did, I think they just swapped the 3rd. The final time they fixed it they swapped the third one and it worked great for about four days.

Next time the light comes on I had talked to a 10th gen 01 Owner who said they he had issues with a bad connection to his plug. So I unplugged the battery, pulled the coil for good measure, wiped the connector clean, and inserted it snugly. I connected the battery and the truck runs perfectly for about 36 hours. After that the same issues came back. Today I just did the same thing with the exception of pulling the coil and the light is off and idles fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is it just a bad connection or is that a placebo?
Old 05-01-2019, 12:08 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Through all this you never mention changing spark plugs? With that mileage on a newly acquired unit, it could be running original plugs.

Don't panic by the Thread TITLE, but I think you should read this entire thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/cam-pha...5/#post6174782 particularly starting about post #5 or 6. Then get you a Lisle tool and do a 'hospital operating room clean' spark plug job, using SP546 Motorcraft plugs, taking pain to clean spark plug wells and extended hole in the head beyond plug threads. See what happens - and stop talking to that dealer.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:10 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Make sure you put new boots on all the plugs .Boots can look good but then they break down . Oil,gas ,antifreeze/heat /age all kill them . They are not that expensive .Clean all connectors and cop contacts .Make sure all connectors are locking on . If not replace them .Torque them all in 25 to 28 foot pounds .
The following users liked this post:
techrep (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

^great advice

Quick Reply: 06 5.4 Cylinder 3 Misfires