Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'05 Instrument cluster current draw problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '05 Instrument cluster current draw problem

I have an '05 Lariat with a battery drain problem that I've troubleshot to the instrument cluster. I'm getting about 400mA at F21 after 30 min wait. The draw goes away after disconnecting the cluster from the circuit. My local mechanic says the computer is not shutting down and the only solution is to replace the entire cluster.

Does anyone know of a fix? Is there a relay somewhere in the cluster that may need replacement? The only other thread I've found remotely close is here: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/elusive...roblem-137781/

They don't mention a fix.

F150forum.com keeps my problem child on the road, Thanks everyone!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
F150 Forum

Default F150 cluster

I had the same problem on my 04 xlt two months ago. I needed to get my truck back on the road asap so i ok'd my mechanic to replace the instrument cluster ASAP. It's been in for 2 months now, no problems so far. I didn't have time to do a lot of research into the matter.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by roachie13
I have an '05 Lariat with a battery drain problem that I've troubleshot to the instrument cluster. I'm getting about 400mA at F21 after 30 min wait. The draw goes away after disconnecting the cluster from the circuit. My local mechanic says the computer is not shutting down and the only solution is to replace the entire cluster.

Does anyone know of a fix? Is there a relay somewhere in the cluster that may need replacement? The only other thread I've found remotely close is here: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/elusive...roblem-137781/

They don't mention a fix.

F150forum.com keeps my problem child on the road, Thanks everyone!
I have the same problem. Already ruined one optima red top. Thankfully they replaced it under warranty. Now I need to find a solution. I installed a 1.8w solar charger but that didn't help much. I was really just treating the symptom instead of curing the disease. I am really hoping that there is a fix besides replacing the cluster.

Quick Reply: '05 Instrument cluster current draw problem