Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'05 electronic problems (gremlin!!!)

Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 electronic problems (gremlin!!!)

Hi guys!! 1st post here. Have read here in the past, always great info. I need some thoughts/advice or just a general direction to to turn to.

I have a 05 Lariat, 5.4 with around 230 K. Barring replacing plugs and coil packs I have had no problems out of the truck. Run synthetic oil and keep changed every 3K miles and hardly ever run gas with ethanol in it.

The other day I had stop and get gas. Put in enough for about a half tank. Left the gas pumps and 5 miles later truck "beeps" and I get a low fuel message. Click over to "miles to empty" and it was down to "50 miles to empty." Every 1/8 mile or so it would drop a mile "to empty." The gas gauge still showed 1/2 tank. When it got down to "25 to empty" it shot back up to "165 to empty" and everything went back to normal.

That night leaving work, when I got to my truck I noticed the dome light was on. I cranked up, light went off, and then the "door ajar" alarm came on. That alarm would go off and suddenly beep again. I stopped, made sure all doors were shut, and went about 15 yds and the "door ajar" light comes on and the beep. Now the door ajar light stays on in the dash all the time.

When I cut the truck off, and pull the keys, the dome light stays on all the time. I'm having to unhook the battery some nights.

This morning I go to crank up, turn the key. all the lights on the dash come on , radio, headlights come on. Turn the key and nothing. Not even a click. Battery only a month old, and I'm 12.8V on it. Kept fooling with the battery and key this morning and it cranked.

Could someone please give me a direction to look?? Is this the main computer starting to go out???

HELP?????

Chip
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Sounds like this issue has a tie to the message center in your gauge cluster... I wonder if something fried in there...or maybe the cluster or one of its connections had come loose..
I had a weird incidence when my front dome light would not shut off either... I started the truck and it went out and has been fine for months...
Have you done anything out of the ordinary to the truck, like jump started a vehicle, fender bender, extremely rough road driving?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM

No haven't done anything our of the ordinary.

When I start mine the dome light goes our and stays out. When I cut it off, dome light comes back on and sometimes stays on till I unhook the battery or sometimes it might go out.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM

ttt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 electronic problems (gremlin!!!)