Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 5.4l Cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 5.4l Cranks but no start

Hello,

I have a 2005 f150 5.4l 3v. Truck cranks but wont start. I checked fuel pressure with key on engine off, and its about 36-40 psi. It seems to be flooding itself. I pulled all the spark plugs and cleaned them. Cranked the truck fired right up ran for 3-5 seconds and then died, wont re start. Smell like raw fuel when cranking it. It does have good spark, took coil pack off and grounded spark plug and it sparks while cranking.

Things replaced and cleaned:
New spark plugs
New vct solenoids
Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned MAF

The truck shows no codes.

On the scanner with key on engine off my short term fuel trim for bank 1 sensor 1 and 2 it shows 99.2% with engine off, not sure if that Is relevant.

I have read somewhere that the phaser breaks dowel pin and truck wont start, but want to see what else it could/might be before ripping valve covers off.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you looked at your fuel pump driver module?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by barriosman
Have you looked at your fuel pump driver module?
Hello,

Would I still have fuel pressure if my fuel pump drive module was dead? When I crank her the fuel pressure jumps up
Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

FPDM. I would guess its a 99.9% chance it is your problem. I would go get one, unplug the old and plug the new one in before you fully mount it up and I bet the truck starts right up.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Changed the FPMD but it did not make a difference. I noticed when I was cranking it, the engine would slightly backfire through intake. So I thought clogged cats. I pulled 3 of the o2 sensors out the 2 on the drivers side bank 2 and the one on passanger side in between both cats, but have not pulled the pre cat one yet, will work on that tonight. Now I can get the truck to start and runs for like 2 seconds and stalls out. Fuel pressure is 44 psi with key on goes to 70 psi when cranking does start but doesn't go over 2300 rpm then idles down and stalls out. Then only 2 codes that came up was p0345 cam sensor bank 2, unplugged it truck still does same thing. And p0356 coil pack 6, but I changed the coil pack out, and still does the same thing, but code is gone. Would clogged cats make this thing not run?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 AM

Got the 4th o2 sensor out. now if u crank it fires right up but runs upto 1400prm and then dies like 2 seconds of run time. You can restart it and it does the same, so its starting just wont stay running. Fuel running out? Has spark, has fuel does start so must have compression, but doesn't run. Sounds like firecrackers to lol because o2 sensors are out. Cats must be clogged. Any other ideas what to check?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Put everything back.
Replace the cam position sensor with OEM part.
Your crank position sensor maybe bad too.
Try to see if it fire up and stay. If not then definitely your CATS are clogged.

How many miles does yours has?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
Put everything back.
Replace the cam position sensor with OEM part.
Your crank position sensor maybe bad too.
Try to see if it fire up and stay. If not then definitely your CATS are clogged.

How many miles does yours has?

Mine has 160,000 miles on her. I will pull the cam sensor from my perfectly running 5.4l 06 expedition see if that will help.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just because you had spark outside of your engine doesnt mean that you have spark under compression. i would look at your plugs and coils a little more carefully. Especially since you pulled and cleaned them and then it momentarily fired up. That would indicate to me bad plugs or coils or at least a bad connection somewhere.

EDIT: just reread your first post, didnt see that you have already replaced plugs, sorry. So i think the cam sensor is a good starting point.

Last edited by judas009; 02-09-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Hello,

Took both cam sensors out from the running 5.4l and ohmed them out and the ohms were same as the other sensors. But installed them (the good ones from expedition) into the f150. Still does the same thing. Starts and stalls. Once you start too many times it floods the motor and its harder to re start. I guess because it injects fuel as its bogging down. I have read that the timing might be one tooth of on bank 2 drivers side, and it will cause this kind of condition. Should I take of the valve cover and verify timing? It should run with the o2 sensors out it has ports to exhaust if cats are clogged, wouldn't run well but should stay running.

Quick Reply: 05 5.4l Cranks but no start