Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 5.4 oil in VCT solenoid connector.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 5.4 oil in VCT solenoid connector.

Hello,

New here, I just picked up a 2004 F150 5.4 4x4 xlt crew cab to turn into a fun off-roading/camping rig. It has 200k on original engine and transmission and was well maintained for its life, I have known the truck since new, belonged to a friend of mine. I have owned and worked on many trucks but they were all Diesel, anything from Powerstrokes, Cummins and even a Duramax.

So this new to me gasser had sat for about a year plus before I got ahold of it. But the price was right and I needed a new project. Some air in the tires and a quick fluid check and a jump pack I got it home, only a 5 min drive.

Has the 4th gear / OD issue, already have those parts in Hand hopefully that’s it. Other than some simple used truck issues that’s all I have noticed. My question is I have read a ton about the cam phasers and the vct system. And now that I have put some clean gas in it I get code P0012 (bank 1 intake camshaft over retarded). Seems to come and go. So I pulled the plug on the bank 1 vct solenoid and there was oil inside the electrical connection. So I ordered new solenoids for both sides. Also note that it doesn’t make any valve train or timing chain noises at all. I’m just curious if this has been seen before as I googled it and found nothing. And I’m not afraid to tear the whole front of the engine apart, just want to see if this is something that has happened before. I did notice that the drivers side (bank2) Cam position sensor looked newer.

And on a side note, what kind of muffler sounds the best with this engine, need to replace the exhaust y pipe back, manifolds and down pipes look fine but after it goes 2:1 it is rusted out.

just for the fun stuff I plan to take the bed off and make a custom flat bed to put my dirt bikes on and a roof top tent. Level it and larger tires. Paint it desert tan with black trim. And if I get board probably a super charger.

Any input appreciated!
Old 08-16-2023, 08:48 PM

Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts

I can't wait to see it after you're finished. What an awesome truck that will be!
Old 08-17-2023, 09:20 AM

Received 810 Likes on 714 Posts

Maybe if you're lucky an oil flush and change along with new solenoids will get you taken care of.
FWIW I just did my timing at 191k on the odometer and the tensioner arms were getting worn through, so 200k might be the time to do the timing anyway even if you sont have any noises.

Old 08-17-2023, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, I changed the oil with motorcraft oil and filter, old oil was hideous, but no signs of metal or any other debris in oil or filter. even put and earth magnet through it to check. Runs great when cold, but at hot idle seems to be alittle rough, but that could be the fact that it has no exhaust past the 2:1 collector. New vct solenoids showed up today. Going to put them in over the weekend. Will see what happens. I just know from past experience that when the oil is getting pushed through the sensor into the wiring connection it’s toast. And if that doesn’t fix it then a whole timing job it is.

Quick Reply: 04 5.4 oil in VCT solenoid connector.