Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For you Ford Techs out there???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For you Ford Techs out there???

Here's the deal...my 2010 F150 SCrew FX4 w/5.4 and dealer installed OEM Ford remote start just died about a week ago, my wife started it and reach to close the door and it died? When she turn the key again, nothing?

Nothing would light up on the dash, no radio, no nothing? I tried jumping it, still nothing when you turned the key? I called the dealer and they sent a tow truck. I have an extended warranty, so most of the 60 mile tow (to dealer where I bought it) would be covered. They said they'd take a look at it the next morning, but didn't look at it for two more days.

It was parked facing a building, with the key on, I couldn't get it out of park? So I tried every possible fuse that had anything to do with the ignition, finally came across a totally burnt, not popped, but burnt 15A fuse on the passenger side floor board panel, #16 to the ignition feed switch. Replaced the fuse and it started.

By this time the tow truck was there, so I let them tow it in figuring the way it was burnt it would happen again, and possibly not be able to start it next time, it's my wife's truck.

Skip ahead to today, they say they can't find anything wrong? I asked about the remote start and the wiring harness in the steering column, because when it was new it did the exact same thing except blow a fuse. it was a short in the remote start somewhere, and they're the ones who fixed it.

They said they didn't think it would be the remote start, and said they worked the tilt wheel up & down but couldn't get it to short out??? I'd think they'd check the wiring to the remote start and look at the ignition wiring harness in the steering column?

Now I'm not a mechanic, but if the fuse blows from the "ignition switch feed", then I'd probably check the ignition switch feed and anything to do with the ignition???

They were supposed to check the driver's power seat because it's really slow and sounds weird when the easy exit powers it back when you remove the key, but they hadn't looked at that yet...and said with tomorrow being a Holiday, it might be a couple more days or possibly Monday before they could check the seat out??

I told them to skip it, that I was coming to pick it up...but they were closing before I could get there.

I expect more out of one of the biggest Ford dealers in Oklahoma!!

I'm going to either talk to the owners or at least the general manager when I pick it up on Thursday. I'm just curious what they're going to charge me for looking at it for over a week? Pretty sure the tow will be $150-$175.

Rant over...any ideas on the problem would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the flux capacitor has a few ball bearings loose. You know it is all ball bearings these days.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 154 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain22
Sounds like the flux capacitor has a few ball bearings loose. You know it is all ball bearings these days.
He said "Ford Techs" not "Fletch Techs."

To the original post....I'm sorry but I don't have anything to offer for your situation. Just surprised to see a derail on the first response.

Last edited by CAPTAIN_MATH; 07-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 PM

Anybody with a "good" suggestion???

That's ok captain & Captain...I've got a little better sense of humor now after I've calmed down and had a few beers.

I'm just pissed, because I'm headed to Phoenix in a couple weeks for my daughter's softball tournament, and I'm just afraid it'll do it again...only this time, replacing the fuse won't solve the problem??

Looks like to me, if it blows the ignition switch feed fuse....then maybe there's a short in the ignition switch feed??????????????????????

...but, I might tell them to check the effin' ball bearings while they're at it!!!

Last edited by teamroper; 07-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 AM

Just messing around. That sucks, but I am not that advanced with my skills. A little levity was all I could add. By the way, you should try 110, 220... Whatever it takes.

Anyone, name that movie.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN_MATH

He said "Ford Techs" not "Fletch Techs."

To the original post....I'm sorry but I don't have anything to offer for your situation. Just surprised to see a derail on the first response.
Really a first thread derail on this forum surprised you? Are you new here? Haha! To the op, dang that sucks, good techs are hard to find, they don't know jack anymore besides what the book tells them. Called my dealer to ask about my AC seat filter and they told me it was like a 3 hour job, have to remove the seat, its a real pain they said. Thinking this sounded like complete BS I went and lifted my seat all the way up and looked under it, filter is right there easily accessible, changing it takes all of 10 seconds once you've done it once. Surprised some techs can even dress themselves properly, lol! Good luck with your problem, keep us posted if they fix it.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 154 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain22
Just messing around. That sucks, but I am not that advanced with my skills. A little levity was all I could add. By the way, you should try 110, 220... Whatever it takes.

Anyone, name that movie.
The correct quote is 220...221 whatever it takes. Mr. Mom

I really wasn't that surprised about the derail. Just couldn't resist the Fletch comment. Great movie!

Last edited by CAPTAIN_MATH; 07-04-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM

You are correct, I stand corrected. :-)
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Bump for any suggestions??
Old 07-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I had my POS 09 Silverado do the same thing. Kept frying one fuse in the fuse block under the hood. The dealer kept humming and hawing and I knew why. They had to replace the whole dash cluster (that's what fuse was blowing). Well it stopped for awhile but did it every once and awhile again and began to do it more often, I had a box of 10 amps in the glove box. Finally it set on fire one day and burned itself to a $12k bill. When you're dealing with BURNT fuses, Take no chances. Tell the dealer to keep it and test everything, because something wasn't right. Have them give you a loaner for the tournament, because if that thing burns down its on them to fix it, explain that to them. My GM dealer wasn't so happy with eating up a $12k repair bill for the warranty they couldn't fix.

Quick Reply: For you Ford Techs out there???