Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire Color & Location for After Market Navigation & Satelite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wire Color & Location for After Market Navigation & Satelite Radio Install

Members, I need the location and colors of certain wires to wire an after market navigation stereo and backup camera to my 2010 XL F150 Regular Cab Pickup (does not have SYNC). I've read many post related to older model trucks but it appears the wire color may differ. And I'm struggling with finding the wires on the 2010 model.

The Kenwood Backup Camera needs to be wired at the Passenger side Kick Panel (SJB) and I need to locate these three wires:
  • Reverse Lamp Wire
  • Switched Power Wire
  • Ground Wire
I also need to wire the navigation unit to the wire going to the parking break switch.

Can someone tell me the correct color of these wires and a little detail on where to find the wires.

Many thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Emergency Brake Wire for Navigation

I connected the hot and ground wire for the backup camera with the same hot and ground source for the navigation system.

I found a photo from another post for the emergency break wire at the break switch. I checked every purple/white wire I could find in the SJB with no luck.

I've routed the reverse wire to the engine compartment battery fuse box and understand that I need to find the gray/brown wire, but not having much luck. Anyone that has a picture or details to assist, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mike/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mike/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you know what specific wiring diagram you need I can get you that, but I'm really not sure what you want. You may not want connect the nav unit to the parking brake wire, I would try to find a hot wire when the truck is running and connect it to that.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 AM

I just wired my aftermarket backup camera and here's how...First, I used the trailer brake controller harness that was in the glove box when I got yhe truck. I tried a wireless camera with poor results so went with a wired setup. I use a 5 pin setup for my boat so have no use for the 7 pin harness, except the fact that it has one wire that runs from the back of the truck to the dash.

Camera was mounted on the license plate. Power for the camera (and the receiver) was obtained from the wire to the CENTER pin (GY/BN) on the 7 pin plug. This is the backup lamp circuit so the camera and receiver would be energized when the vehicle is placed in reverse. Ground is the white wire. I clipped the BLUE wire (that would be the brake controller wire that I'm not using) and connecting it also to the power feed (GY/BN) from the center pin. I ran a separate wire for the video from the rear, along the wiring harness that hugs the frame, into the wiring trough in the cab (I found a rubber plug that I used to get the wire through), then up to the poat to the left of the windshield and across underthe overhead to the rear view mirror. For power I used the harness that ford supplied where I connected the blue (the power feed from the rear) to the receiver + and the ground (BK/WH) to the receiver -. All wires were routed behind all the stuff up to the rear view mirror - all hidden.
My receiver is mounted just below the rear view mirror. All wires are hidden except where they plug into the receiver. I t comes on automatically when the truck is put in reverse.

Send an email to airbrush@mindspring.com and I'll send you the brake controller wiring diagram. Note there's also a hot feed in the harness you could use for the stereo although it's not a switched hot wire.

Last edited by airbrush; 12-28-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 AM

rkfvd3: Thanks for the reply. The parking break wire connections is a required safety feature for the navigation system. It requires the parking break to be engaged before you can watch DVD's or do advanced programing on the head unit. The navigaton unit is also connected to a constant power source to retain program settings and a switched power source for standard operation of the system. Hope this makes sense. I've got the stereo (navigation system) installed and working as described above. The last remaining item I still need assistance with is connecting the wire to the Reverse gear sensing wire (Gray/Brown) wire. This connection is required to display the back up camera image on the screen when the vehicle is placed in reverse as described in the post from "airbrush".

airbrush: Thanks for your response. You are describing precisely what I need, however I'm a little unclear with where in the glove box area this 7 pin connector is located for finding the reverse sensing wire (Gray/Brown). I have the hot and ground wire for the camera connected to the same switched 12v source and ground for the stereo (navigation system) and it will display the picture on the navigation system screen when I select the camera option. The only wire I need to connect to complete the install is the connection to the reverse sensing wire. I can make the connection in the dash, however, I currently have the wire routed through the firewall and to the fuse juction box in the engine compartment, as this is where Crutchfield told me the reverse lamp relay wire can be found. I just need someoent to provide a little more clarity for where to find the reverse sensing wire (Gray/Brown) in either location.

Thanks again for any further help you both can provide!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 AM

Default Reverse Lamp Wire in Passenger Kick Panel

For others that are interested. I finally found the reverse wire in the passenger kick panel. It is a solid blue wire in a 14 pin connector mounted to the wall, a little to the right and just above the smart junction box. It was a pain to reach but I got it.

Last edited by tellmeplease; 12-30-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Wire Color & Location for After Market Navigation & Satelite Radio Install