Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Arm Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiper Arm Rattle

I've had this truck for about 3 weeks, and in the heavy rain recently I noticed a noise from the wiper arm. It's the driver's side arm, only on it's way down, no matter the speed of the wiper, no matter the speed of the truck, it makes a sort of clunky rattle. Anyone else ever had this issue? I'll probably tear into it this weekend to see if something is just loose with the linkage maybe, but I wanted to check with you all first.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 AM
Historical Indifference

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

yep. Had this problem when I put on new blades. At first I thought it was the wiper motor/trans (loose? nope). But I pulled off the Wiper arms and the plastic at the base of windshield and tested various scenarios. No arms, 1 Arm (left / right), windshield wet (or dry). Swapping arms, etc.

Turns out I had a bad wiper blade on the drivers side. It just created a "rubbing" (extra efficient squeegee??) and that vibrated the blade and arm. It did seem worse inside the cab then outside. I swapped blades but eventually replaced the problematic one.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Yep. Start with the cheap solution, put on new blades.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by robotdog
yep. Had this problem when I put on new blades. At first I thought it was the wiper motor/trans (loose? nope). But I pulled off the Wiper arms and the plastic at the base of windshield and tested various scenarios. No arms, 1 Arm (left / right), windshield wet (or dry). Swapping arms, etc.

Turns out I had a bad wiper blade on the drivers side. It just created a "rubbing" (extra efficient squeegee??) and that vibrated the blade and arm. It did seem worse inside the cab then outside. I swapped blades but eventually replaced the problematic one.
Hmm, I just replaced the blades with new ones about a week ago. I might switch the sides to see if that changes anything.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually having the same issue and I just put brand new bosh icons about a month ago
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Both of mine were doing this a few months back, swapped blades it fixed it for a day or so, ended up repalacing the wiper arms and have not chattered or shaked since
Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Historical Indifference

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

You know my blades are Bosh Icons. I wonder if there are issues with them. Anyone else notice any strange noises with Bosch Icons?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bosch icon blades as well and they skip on the way down. I am pretty sure it is both sides not just one. I also have rainex on my windshield and was going to try and clean it all off to see if that helped.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I plan to clean the blades and windshield then wax the windshield and see if that improves it any will post up resulted tommorow if I get any rain
Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 AM

The brand new blades I put on are Icons. They don't skip or shake or anything, I just get the noise. Since the truck is new to me and I can't remember using the wiper for more than a windshield spray before I put them on, I can't say if the noise was there before. I am going to dig into it maybe this weekend. 100k miles, might be the linkage bushings or something.