Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Winter Tires?

Hi guys. I was lucky enough last month, to win a set of 4 Good Year Tires, thru my Dealer. They can be the model of my choice. I already have new (last Summer) BFG KO2's that I run in the summer, so I figured I would cash in on
A new set of winter tires, with my Win! My other winter tires have about a season left. I'm wondering what model of Good Year tire to get for Winter. When I look up same size as I'm running in summer 275/70/18, I get Good Year ultra grip Ice (true winter tire) and all season models Goodyear DuraTrac, Wrangler AT Adventure and Fierce Attitude MT. With any of your experience, what would be a wise choice for Winter use? Thanks for your help and opinions!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tomasulo
Hi guys. I was lucky enough last month, to win a set of 4 Good Year Tires, thru my Dealer. They can be the model of my choice. I already have new (last Summer) BFG KO2's that I run in the summer, so I figured I would cash in on
A new set of winter tires, with my Win! My other winter tires have about a season left. I'm wondering what model of Good Year tire to get for Winter. When I look up same size as I'm running in summer 275/70/18, I get Good Year ultra grip Ice (true winter tire) and all season models Goodyear DuraTrac, Wrangler AT Adventure and Fierce Attitude MT. With any of your experience, what would be a wise choice for Winter use? Thanks for your help and opinions!
All of our fleet trucks in Alaska run the DuraTracs extra siped and some are siped and studded did really well. Whichever ones you get you can them siped. My STT pros were horrible on the ice until I siped them then it ran like a sports car with blizzaks (almost kinda) ha.
The following users liked this post:
tomasulo (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

Only one I can speak for is the Duratrac's. Had them in 275/70/18 and loved them so much that I stuck with them for my current size, 315/70/17. They're great on hard pack snow which is what most of our roads in the UP of Michigan turn into since they don't use salt that often, and they do great in deep powder as well.

If you're looking for a true winter tire then the ultra grip would probably be the wise choice. The Duratrac's are a great alternative that you can run year round if need be.
The following users liked this post:
tomasulo (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:57 AM

Thanks guys! Really stuck now between the DuraTrac and Ultra Grip Ice for Winter tires.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Difference is, Duratracs are not true winter tires. They're AT regardless of how many snow flakes are on it.

I would say Cooper M+S from personal experience are good. Wife's minivan 2WD handles roads better than my F150. Treadepot.com has a $50 off special right now if you buy a set of 4.

Last edited by SteveLord; 08-27-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't know where you live but a 'true winter tire' is spec'd for a certain ambient temperature,above that and wear increases rapidly.
Certainly a true winter tire is best for winter only as opposed to a compromise 'all season'

IMHO
Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The Duratrac is a great snow tire, IMO the best AT tire for winter. There is a difference though between the Duratrac, and a true winter tire.

When it comes to driving in winter weather, There's NOTHING like a winter tire. Whether it be snow, heavy snow, slush, black ice, etc... They will simply outperform anything else in the winter. That's what they're made for.

I run winter tires on mine. The only issue is you need another set of wheels. This way the swap in the spring time is easy. I usually remove the winter tires when the temps get to 45*F consistently.

Last edited by Sammy77; 08-27-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

first off, let me say that I have never liked goodyear tires. Was always a bfgoodrich, bridgestone and firestone fan. but back a few years ago, I started working for a gold exploration company in Northern Ontario, and my boss had rented a 1500 silverado for us to travel on snowpacked dirt roads, and then into the bush to our drills.... terriable roads..... pretty much a donkey path. he sent our truck to the nearest town to have "the best winter tire that had" installed... cost was not an issue.
I cringed when it came back with good year ultra grips.

over the next couple months, my opinion really changed on that tire... there was damn near nothing it couldn't handle. they were smooth on the highway, gripped good on the hard snow packed back roads, and our donkey paths were no issue at all.... ice, fresh snow, hard pack... didn't matter they worked good.

So if you have a chance to get a free set of winters, Trust me, go for the ultra grips, you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by morehousej
first off, let me say that I have never liked goodyear tires. Was always a bfgoodrich, bridgestone and firestone fan. but back a few years ago, I started working for a gold exploration company in Northern Ontario, and my boss had rented a 1500 silverado for us to travel on snowpacked dirt roads, and then into the bush to our drills.... terriable roads..... pretty much a donkey path. he sent our truck to the nearest town to have "the best winter tire that had" installed... cost was not an issue. I cringed when it came back with good year ultra grips. over the next couple months, my opinion really changed on that tire... there was damn near nothing it couldn't handle. they were smooth on the highway, gripped good on the hard snow packed back roads, and our donkey paths were no issue at all.... ice, fresh snow, hard pack... didn't matter they worked good. So if you have a chance to get a free set of winters, Trust me, go for the ultra grips, you won't be disappointed.
Guys....I think your info has made my decision! Ultra Grips it is!! I have BF KO2's which I love for my summer tires, which provides an aggressive look and a great ride. I contemplated on the DuraTrac to use for winter, but I agree...I've had only winter tires on my trucks, and know the deference, and that they add much more to control, grip and stopping than an all season does. For free tires, I'll take the winters! Thanks for all of your comments guys!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

Quick Reply: Winter Tires?