Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild Wiping when not on

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windsheild Wiping when not on

2013 F-150 STX 5.0 with 34,500 miles and no previous damage, mechanical or electrical issues and the truck is still under warranty up to 36,000 miles. I am having a problem with my windshield wipers running on the lowest setting when they are switched to the off position. This is only happening when the truck is on not off. When I rotate the selector switch to the first setting there is no response, it will continue wiping on the lowest setting. Every other setting works fine with no problems, all the different speeds work. Is there a quick fix for this? It started yesterday 31DEC2014. It is still under warranty but I will be leaving for 2 months on the 8th of January and would like to have this problem fixed ASAP, however Ford does not have any openings within that time frame for me to get in to have it looked at. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogarmy42
2013 F-150 STX 5.0 with 34,500 miles and no previous damage, mechanical or electrical issues and the truck is still under warranty up to 36,000 miles. I am having a problem with my windshield wipers running on the lowest setting when they are switched to the off position. This is only happening when the truck is on not off. When I rotate the selector switch to the first setting there is no response, it will continue wiping on the lowest setting. Every other setting works fine with no problems, all the different speeds work. Is there a quick fix for this? It started yesterday 31DEC2014. It is still under warranty but I will be leaving for 2 months on the 8th of January and would like to have this problem fixed ASAP, however Ford does not have any openings within that time frame for me to get in to have it looked at. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Well first of all you say there is a problem with wipers running on the lowest setting when they are switched to the off position -- Of course they are OFF !! Am I not understanding -- are the wipers still continuing to run after turning off ?

Second you say that when you rotate the switch to first setting it will continue wiping on the lowest setting -- Isn't the first setting the lowest speed setting ??? Or are they running intermittent when turned to first setting of continuous ??

Third -- If I were you I would get on line RIGHT NOW and purchase an extended warranty. I purchased an only Premium Plan for $900 to cover everything for 6 years. It's worth the investment.

Last edited by richardscalp; 01-01-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Go to another dealer with openings before you leave. Otherwise you will likely get screwed because they won't see it before w warranty expires. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Is the courtesy wipe feature set to on? That's all I can help with.

http://support.ford.com/vehicle-feat...-courtesy-wipe
Old 01-01-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same issue. Turned out to be the headlight switch. Tied in with the wipers. Ever time the wiper stuck on. The headlights turned on also. Even on a bright sunny day. It was a quick easy fix at the dealer.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck did this about a year ago, the switch was replaced under warranty in less than an hour. During the week I waited to take it to the dealer, I found that if I put the wipers on full and cranked the switch back fast it would sometimes turn off.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I absolutely suggest reaching out to another dealer; use this to locate the closest dealers to you and schedule an upcoming appointment.

Then, please keep me posted. I'll be here to research additional options, if necessary. I'll keep an eye out on the thread for any updates from you!

Brittany
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Master FORD tech

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a bad wiper switch, I have done at least 20 in the past year(common problem). Why not drop it off at your dealer before your trip(if your not taking the truck) and pick it up when you get back?

Like someone else stated, it's a 30 minute job.

I also suggest you crawl under your truck and do a visual inspection of anything else that may still be covered before your warranty expires. Dealerships are not allowed to add additional warranty lines after write-up, even if they see something wrong(as long as its not safety related). Maybe even take it to an independent shop and have them put it on a lift and do a thorough inspection. Have any other issues fixed at the time of replacing your wiper switch.

Quick Reply: Windsheild Wiping when not on