Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will my e-locker work with an LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Default will my e-locker work with an LSD?

I like to think that I know my way around a vehicle fairly well, but one thing I definitely don't know much about is e-lockers/air lockers. so this is what I'm wondering.

my 2010 F150 had a true clutch-style mechanical limited slip differential. my 2014 has an e-locker. I liked that in my 2010, even if I had to pull fuses to disable the traction control, the LSD still functioned because there was nothing electronic about it. so I know I could technically take an LSD out of a 2010 and install it in my 2014 because it's still the same 9.75 differential, but if I did this, would the e-locker still be able to function as well? the traction control is not nearly as obtrusive as it was in my 2010 but I would still prefer an LSD over the locker that only functions up to 20 miles per hour.

sorry if this has been asked before - I searched and couldn't find anything.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

You'd have to give up your e-locker to install a LS carrier.
I did this on my 2011 and 2014. I replaced the open diff./e-locking carrier with a Truetrac LS.

Last edited by NASSTY; 03-27-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:23 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I did this on my 2011 and 2014. I replaced the open diff./e-locking carrier with a Truetrac LS.
okay that's exactly what I needed to know. thanks!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY

Did you do the install yourself or have it done at a shop? I have a LS diff I want to install in my 2010 (open rear) and wondered if this could be a DIY or if a shop must do the install to set up backlash and pinion depth and such.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I might be confused but you need it locked after 20mph? If so just pull the 4x4 **** out.

Want TCS deactive press the TCS button in the middle of the dash.

Just some food for thought rather than replacing perfectly good components.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by rtmach1
Did you do the install yourself or have it done at a shop? I have a LS diff I want to install in my 2010 (open rear) and wondered if this could be a DIY or if a shop must do the install to set up backlash and pinion depth and such.
Where it's just a carrier swap it could be a DIY project depending on your ability. I had my friend install mine because I'm lazy and he specializes in differential work with over 30 years experience and he works cheap for me. You may need to have someone press the carrier bearings onto the new LS carrier. But otherwise it's not too bad of a job. An impact gun would also help when removing the ring gear from the old carrier. I had the same results as another member (montanaman) had when he had his Truetrac installed. We both were able to reuse the original side shims in the location they came from.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaMike
I might be confused but you need it locked after 20mph? If so just pull the 4x4 **** out.

Want TCS deactive press the TCS button in the middle of the dash.

Just some food for thought rather than replacing perfectly good components.
The locker automatically disengages after 20 or 30 mpg.

And even if you turn off advance trac with the tcs button, it isn't 100% off.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jp360cj
The locker automatically disengages after 20 or 30 mpg.

And even if you turn off advance trac with the tcs button, it isn't 100% off.
Even after engaging the locker from the dash?

And figured the TCS woudn't do anything as I tested it off and it didn't do anything, allowed me to kick sideways from a stop and keep going til i let off the gas myself. But then again I'm no expert on the truck or why anybody would need a LSD vs E-lock or non-tcs unless all they wanted was laying some rubber.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaMike
Even after engaging the locker from the dash?

And figured the TCS woudn't do anything as I tested it off and it didn't do anything, allowed me to kick sideways from a stop and keep going til i let off the gas myself. But then again I'm no expert on the truck or why anybody would need a LSD vs E-lock or non-tcs unless all they wanted was laying some rubber.
Yes it kicks out. And pulling the 4x4 **** is the only way to engage the locker.

Tcs can be a major hindrance off road. ABS is still engaged and other stuff will still kick in if you push your truck hard enough.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jp360cj
Yes it kicks out. And pulling the 4x4 **** is the only way to engage the locker.

Tcs can be a major hindrance off road. ABS is still engaged and other stuff will still kick in if you push your truck hard enough.
Makes sense didn't even think of off road, figured most are using there trucks as street queens.. hell mine is for the most part don't want to break anything yet lol

Quick Reply: will my e-locker work with an LSD?