Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Water pump issue?

Just curious if anyone has had water pump issues? I bought my pickup a little over a month ago (2014 5.0) and have put on around 2500 miles (truck as it sits has 26k). When I first got it I noticed a very slight anti freeze smell when walking around the front of the truck after getting home. Never found any leaks, coolant level stayed the same, thought maybe it was burn off from a spill possibly.

I got the pickup serviced for the first time since owning it this week and while doing the inspection, or during the oil change, the tech noted that the water pump is leaking. My shop picks it up/drops it off for me at work so I didn't have any contact with them other than reading what he had wrote. I called shortly after and he said they just noticed a tiny bit seeping out but not even really dripping. He said that it's a non issue at the moment and that I should/they will keep an eye on it and that they aren't in a huge rush because if it get's worse they can just warranty it.

My pickup is a salvage title/repaired so I don't have a warranty anymore (apparently he didn't realize it's a salvage).. So I will more than likely be paying out of pocket to get it replaced.
Two questions:
  • Do you think the very slight anti-freeze wiff I'm getting is from the water pump?
  • And is this something you would replace now or just monitor and see if it gets any worse.
Thank you!

Note- This is my commuter mainly because I enjoy driving it much more than our Ford Edge.. Therefor it could see as much as 550 miles/week. I plan on getting the oil changed/checked over every 5000 miles or so.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i had mine changed at 48k. if i were you id go ahead and change it. Piece of mind. you dont want it getting you stranded do to overheating and have to have a tow. Something like that can let go all at once or just get worse over time. As soon as i seen mine leaking, it wasnt a drip but coolant would collect in the "V" of the front cover i replaced mine.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

the water pumps leak very frequently on the 5.0L, as well as the T-connector by the thermostat housing, and another o-ring fitting on the bottom of the surge tank. I don't know if the current parts are the same as what the truck was built with and will fail again, or if they were redesigned to resolve the issue. but I haven't seen the same truck leak twice yet.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Snow Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone know the cost of fixing this issue? I think my 2011 5.0 is showing the same issue- intermittent leak.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

My "T-connector" leak including a coolant flush was in the neighborhood of $400. I live close to Boston so...yeah.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Recently my water pump started leaking at 38k miles, new pump was $120, installed it myself. Dealer then flushed and refilled my antifreeze for another $100.
Didnt think it was too hard of a task to do.
This is the first pump I've ever tackled btw.

I saw replace it and be wary of the T-connectors and O-ring as others have stated
Old 01-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by BLUE MAGIC
Recently my water pump started leaking at 38k miles, new pump was $120, installed it myself. Dealer then flushed and refilled my antifreeze for another $100.
Didnt think it was too hard of a task to do.
This is the first pump I've ever tackled btw.

I saw replace it and be wary of the T-connectors and O-ring as others have stated
How bad was your leak at the time? Were you noticing a drop in coolant?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Also, is the easiest way to diagnose where the leak is coming from (as it seems there are a lot of possibilities) to remove the intake tube and just take a good look? Kind of a stupid question but is there harm in running the engine at all with the intake off?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

You don't need to have it running to check where it's leaking from, you should see coolant or residue from the leak. A fairly slow and steady leak sounds more like a leaking o-ring than a water pump, but you never know.
The following users liked this post:
mpittmann (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidKR
the water pumps leak very frequently on the 5.0L, as well as the T-connector by the thermostat housing, and another o-ring fitting on the bottom of the surge tank.
What percentage of the 5.0 trucks have this problem?