Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty issue. Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Warranty issue. Which way to go?

About a year and a half ago my in-dash reverse camera was acting up at night. The dealership narrowed the problem down to something wrong in the rearview mirror. The mirror was replaced under warranty and all was well for a while. Fast forward to the summer and I began to notice the mirror bouncing around on hot days. At it's worse, it looked like an earthquake was happening behind me. But other times it didn't really move at all.

I took the truck in last week for some service and asked for a tech to take a look at the mirror as it was acting up again. They acknowledged it wasn't supposed to be like that and would be in contact with me once they hear back with Ford about ordering a new mirror. Today I get a phone call from the dealership saying after Ford reviewed the pictures and info sent to them, they were denying the claim for a replacement mirror. Their reason? They said the mirror was either replaced/installed wrong or it has been improperly used. Either way, Ford isn't at fault.

Now, I see 3 ways this can go. 1) Ford is giving me some BS and hope I go away with my claim. 2) The replacement mirror was, in fact, installed wrong. At which point the dealership needs to step up and fix it, no? Or 3) Why is there even a 3? How the heck can you improperly use a mirror? You just look at it. I don't yank on it and slap it around every time I enter the truck.

The dealership gave me Ford's CS number if I wanted to call and make my feelings known. Should I go that route or put pressure on the dealership to deal with it? I like this dealership and I've had good service in the past but I don't really see how my only option at this point is to pay for a new mirror out of pocket.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 612 Likes on 475 Posts

id talk with the service manager and explain that they replaced it and therefore need to cover it. If they refuse then try going to ford customer service

i had shipping damage to my driver door replaced and the body shop morons left a harness loose, the window hit it and damn near cut through the wires. They told me it wasnt a warranty repair but as soon as I told them their dealership were the only ones to touch it they gave me a receipt for $0 and charged it to their body shop
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg2003mach1
id talk with the service manager and explain that they replaced it and therefore need to cover it. If they refuse then try going to ford customer service

i had shipping damage to my driver door replaced and the body shop morons left a harness loose, the window hit it and damn near cut through the wires. They told me it wasnt a warranty repair but as soon as I told them their dealership were the only ones to touch it they gave me a receipt for $0 and charged it to their body shop
They know they replaced it before. But the only advice they gave me at this point was to call the Ford CS line or pay for a new mirror out of pocket if I really wanted it replaced.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If that is their attitude then one of two things either A) escalate to a manager at dealer or B) take it to small claims court-but make sure you have your ducks(paperwork) in a row.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Is your mirror loose? If it is I'd be all over the dealership to fix it. Sounds like nothing is wrong with the mirror but the install job that was last done. Get your dealer to fix it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Your Ad Here

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

no need to stick to one party - use the Shotgun approach.... Go after anyone and everyone that you feel should be helping you out.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM
11 EB SCREW 3.15 LSD 5.5'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had what you're talking about, but only once. The outside temp went sky high and my truck was sitting in sun, I headed home that afternoon and the mirror was shaking to the point it was hard to look in. Fast forward 10 or 15 minutes of air conditioned driving and it calmed down and I've never had it again.

I wrote this off to some rubber dampers in the mirror holding it in place (allowing for adjustment then holding its position) to have gotten so hot they softened.

Don't know if this helps, but mine never did it again, I guess I'll know next really, really hot day.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Post like these make me question buying a Ford, when they won't stand behind their warranties and products.

But it does seem as thoughmy local dealer is good, but only time will tell.

Quick Reply: Warranty issue. Which way to go?