Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VMP XCAL3 Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VMP XCAL3 Tuner Questions

Has anyone used the 87 Gas Mileage tune from justing at VMP?

I am interested in ordering these tunes from VMP...
87 Gas Mileage
87 Performance
87 Towing

I have used the search but I am not getting quality answers...

I have a stock truck. I am thinking with the price of gas going up this summer this tune could pay for itself(if people are really getting better gas mileage with it).

I am also interested in hearing peoples feedback on the transmission. Mine is an early 2009 and I hate everything about how the transmission acts.

If you all could give me some feedback on the tune that would be great...

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM

I just ordered my tuner from VMP last week, I ordered 87 mileage, 87 performance, and 91 performance, I will be sure and post after I've loaded it and driven it for awhile, also if your transmission is acting up you might think about taking your truck into the dealer, I have a 2010 with the 5.4, I dropped it off yesterday because of the tranny and they had to update the PCM and the TCM, definitely shifts smoother now. Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

A tune will make a HUGE difference in how your tranny shifts. Much clearer, crisper shifts.

Far as mpg, it will have a smaller difference. If you get the MPG specific tune, it will increase your mpg about 1 to 2 per gallon but not quite as crisp performance as a regular tune.

For as which tune, depends. Do you tow a lot? If you do, I'd suggest the 87 towing tune, and keep it loaded in the Xcal which will hold up to 3 custom tunes. When need to tow something, reflash the cpu, only takes about 3 mins. Then when done towing, go back to either 87 performance or 87 mpg.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Franchi
A tune will make a HUGE difference in how your tranny shifts. Much clearer, crisper shifts.

Far as mpg, it will have a smaller difference. If you get the MPG specific tune, it will increase your mpg about 1 to 2 per gallon but not quite as crisp performance as a regular tune.

For as which tune, depends. Do you tow a lot? If you do, I'd suggest the 87 towing tune, and keep it loaded in the Xcal which will hold up to 3 custom tunes. When need to tow something, reflash the cpu, only takes about 3 mins. Then when done towing, go back to either 87 performance or 87 mpg.
thanks guys,

how do these tunes work with tow/haul mode? do you still put your truck in tow/haul mode when you are towing or does the tune do it itself???
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That I do not know. I rarely ever have to haul anything. I would ask Justin at VMP, everytime I've ever had a question he's been awesome. I've tuned several of my friends F-150's and Super Duty's with his custom email tunes.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2010 Silver FX4
I just ordered my tuner from VMP last week, I ordered 87 mileage, 87 performance, and 91 performance, I will be sure and post after I've loaded it and driven it for awhile, also if your transmission is acting up you might think about taking your truck into the dealer, I have a 2010 with the 5.4, I dropped it off yesterday because of the tranny and they had to update the PCM and the TCM, definitely shifts smoother now. Good Luck.
Ya the dealer said i have all my updates and nothing is wrong with it. But it is just sloppy and I don't like it. Let me know how the tune works out for ya...thanks

Quick Reply: VMP XCAL3 Tuner Questions