Video on Ford Service Department Opinions on Eco or 5.0 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back  Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
Video on Ford Service Department Opinions on Eco or 5.0 >

Video on Ford Service Department Opinions on Eco or 5.0

Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video on Ford Service Department Opinions on Eco or 5.0

Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 AM

Default Video on Ford Service Department Opinions on Eco or 5.0

As someone with a 2013 5.0 FX4 I have been contemplating a 2018 model and the different engines that are available.

To be honest I've been considering an Ecoboost or possibly the new diesel, BUT...maybe not.

Came across this video. It's interesting hearing from guys that see more of these trucks than anyone of us likely ever will. That being said, take it for what it's worth.

I routinely go between 2 dealerships for my service needs. One close to work and one near my home. I may take a little informal survey of my own.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BACK2GAS For This Useful Post:
jjkjr (07-30-2017), N3UP (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:49 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

I don't actually trust ford technicians. Maybe a master tech, but regular ones no.

2 reasons:

-I'm a mechanic myself
-I've been lied to and ****ed around by a Ford dealer service department
The Following User Says Thank You to tanked_darren For This Useful Post:
eddlestone213 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

I like the part where he says the 5.0 has more power and torque!

Nothing against the 5.0, but he definitely does not know what he is talking about.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:37 AM

A lot of the same opinions I had when I decided to stick with my original plan to get a 5.0.
Good power, simpler when repairs are needed and more reliable.

Some of those guys didn't even hesitate when asked!

With the boosted engines, you have to be in the throttle all the time and up on the boost to get the power, with NA it's just there...
I'm not afraid of running the rev's required to get the power.

The EB guys love their motors too, and that's fine, but I'd rather listen to that sweet music the 5.0 makes when she's working out.

Coyote power for me, thank you very much.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by N3UP View Post
A lot of the same opinions I had when I decided to stick with my original plan to get a 5.0.
Good power, simpler when repairs are needed and more reliable.

Some of those guys didn't even hesitate when asked!

With the boosted engines, you have to be in the throttle all the time and up on the boost to get the power, with NA it's just there...
I'm not afraid of running the rev's required to get the power.

The EB guys love their motors too, and that's fine, but I'd rather listen to that sweet music the 5.0 makes when she's working out.

Coyote power for me, thank you very much.

I agree completely. The 5.0 is definitely the superior engine. I have an Ecoboost and I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to having to be on boost to make power. You just can't beat an N/A V8 for power or reliability. As far as reliability, no one knows better than the guys that fix them for a living. The Ecoboost is job security for Ford technicians.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Having only owned a 5.0 but driven the EB also I will say that I think both motors are good. Both have plenty of power, both tow loads and the fuel mileage between the 2 isnt worth bickering about. I own the 5.0 because I like a v8 and I got a good deal on it. Not to say I hate the TT v6 and I would have taken that also. I prefer the (more) simplistic 5.0 also without the turbo as an extra thing to go wrong (they have not been troublesome from what I have heard though). Short answer both are great engines but if given a choice I would go with the 5.0 also for good noise reasons, simplicity, and 'Merica (LOL that lase one is just for fun).
Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Results do not surprise me a bit.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by N3UP View Post
What? I can scoot along all day and keep in front of traffic and never have to dive very deep at all into the throttle to do so.

I'd say it's the opposite, with a NA engine you need to get in the throttle and rev to make power, with the ecoboost it's just there.
The Following User Says Thank You to bassJAM For This Useful Post:
06screwlariat (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:07 PM

No weep hole needed.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:25 PM

I drove a 2016 5.0 rental while my backup camera was being fixed. There was not instant power and torque down low, you had to get into the throttle. The most annoying thing was the truck constantly downshifting while going uphill on overpasses. It did this while I had the cruise control on. My 2013 EB with the 3.31 gear does not do this, maybe due to the low end torque.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: