Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Upgrading brake rotors?

I'm tired of the brake dust on my wheels so I plan on doing a brake job soon and will be installing wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads. I had them on my last truck and they were great with almost zero dust. While I'm there I think I want to upgrade my rotors since I'm running a larger wheel. What pair of drilled or slotted rotors has someone used? I haven't had much experience with any other brands other than Motorcraft and Centric (wasn't too impressed with the centric). Lots of choices on Amazon an rockauto. Powerstop, Detroit axle, EBC. Probably will just go with front rotors first then do rears later.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Put powerstops on mine a few thousand miles ago and like them so far. Seems like quite a few people on here have ran them or currently do.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

I run Power Stops on mine, front and rear, and have used them on many of my other vehicles. I’ve always had good luck with them. I run them with OEM pads though.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I put power stop on my truck still using the oem pads. I also put caliper covers on to stop brake dust build up and they work awesome on that level. My custom wheels never show anything other than regular old crud from the road.

With the wheels on you hardly notice the covers (they sell them in different colors including black). What you only notice is how nice and clean the wheels are.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from TN

I run Power Stops on mine, front and rear, and have used them on many of my other vehicles. I’ve always had good luck with them. I run them with OEM pads though.
Hmm just noticed your rotors have 4 holes between slots and mine have 3. I wonder what the difference is considering the same brand?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Hmm just noticed your rotors have 4 holes between slots and mine have 3. I wonder what the difference is considering the same brand?
Thats funny! I never noticed that. I seem to remember PS’s on my other cars only had 3 holes. Mine are fairly new (3 months or so), maybe they changed them up?
I must agree on the caliper covers. No dust on the wheels whatsoever. They are just covered with yellow pollen now! LOL!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Thats funny! I never noticed that. I seem to remember PS’s on my other cars only had 3 holes. Mine are fairly new (3 months or so), maybe they changed them up?
I must agree on the caliper covers. No dust on the wheels whatsoever. They are just covered with yellow pollen now! LOL!
Yeah must be, I bought mine several years ago, just never got around to putting them on till later.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I put power stop on my truck still using the oem pads. I also put caliper covers on to stop brake dust build up and they work awesome on that level. My custom wheels never show anything other than regular old crud from the road.

With the wheels on you hardly notice the covers (they sell them in different colors including black). What you only notice is how nice and clean the wheels are.

I was actually looking at caliper covers too but then shrugged them off as merely a cosmetic item. Do they really help with brake dust too??
Old 04-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by dont slow down
I'm tired of the brake dust on my wheels so I plan on doing a brake job soon and will be installing wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads. I had them on my last truck and they were great with almost zero dust. While I'm there I think I want to upgrade my rotors since I'm running a larger wheel. What pair of drilled or slotted rotors has someone used? I haven't had much experience with any other brands other than Motorcraft and Centric (wasn't too impressed with the centric). Lots of choices on Amazon an rockauto. Powerstop, Detroit axle, EBC. Probably will just go with front rotors first then do rears later.
I have the Stop Techs (Centric) on my F-150 and Centric Rotors all around on my Brembo Brake Mustang that gets most of its road time with the brakes hot carving corners on Mountain roads. I have not had any problem with warping or excessive wear on either.

The ones I took off my F-150 had 4 holes also, and heat checks going across all 4 and off the outside of the rotor, that was on the inner and outer on both fronts.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

Holes are for looks.

Quick Reply: Upgrading brake rotors?